So is the s*%t starting to hit the fan for you?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good grief, when has there NOT been "distress of nations, with perplexity"??? That's pretty much the whole history of the human race there, just with some calmer bits thrown in for contrast in between :p

The cold war, World War II, WW I... go back further, the Black Death centuries, the Crusades, the dark ages... what bits we can reconstruct of early Mediterranean and Mesopotamian and Indian subcontinent civilizations were certainly chock full o distressed nations and perplexed times...

It is, of course, FUN to believe that a) this time is special and b) you (the general you, not anyone in particular) are part of the small special elite who actually know what's going on.

And quite obviously the human race cannot continue on its current trajectory forever, so *something* has got to give, if only in a Malthusian sense rather than a religious one.

But still. Read yer history books. This is how civilization *is*, it *does* these things, life goes on, different in some respects but it goes ON and in fact we ourselves are living in the PRODUCT of a whole lotta other generations' doomsday-lookin' situations.

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Also, I wish people would get some perspective and realize that most of the dire circumstances being discussed here -- expensive gas! scarce supplies! loss of housing! reduced circumstances! struggling to survive! runaway inflation! -- are the normal way of life for a huge portion of the human race.

Sucks to have to be normal... but, it happens. Heaven knows that the US and Canada (and much of the rest of the Western world) have had a giant run of superlative good luck for many generations now, Depression included (compared to a whole lot of our fellow humans elsewhere). All lucky runs at the craps table come to an end *sometime*.

Pat

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Good grief, when has there NOT been "distress of nations, with perplexity"??? That's pretty much the whole history of the human race there, just with some calmer bits thrown in for contrast in between :p

The cold war, World War II, WW I... go back further, the Black Death centuries, the Crusades, the dark ages... what bits we can reconstruct of early Mediterranean and Mesopotamian and Indian subcontinent civilizations were certainly chock full o distressed nations and perplexed times...

It is, of course, FUN to believe that a) this time is special and b) you (the general you, not anyone in particular) are part of the small special elite who actually know what's going on.

And quite obviously the human race cannot continue on its current trajectory forever, so *something* has got to give, if only in a Malthusian sense rather than a religious one.

But still. Read yer history books. This is how civilization *is*, it *does* these things, life goes on, different in some respects but it goes ON and in fact we ourselves are living in the PRODUCT of a whole lotta other generations' doomsday-lookin' situations.

Pat
:clap

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What Pat said.

And don't forget to enjoy life's little moments as well as the big ones, actually "live" life. Don't just keep planning for whatever but revel in the now.

My almost-15-year-old punctuated something she said yesterday with, "this brings me back to my childhood" (to which we replied, "this is your childhood"). It made for a great discussion about how quickly time can pass if one is focused on the wrong things and how important it is to make the most of every moment.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
It would be a lot easier to enjoy those little moments if we didn't have to worry about our future survival.....
That being said......I ordered 150 gallons of off road diesel this morning, and 30 cases of 10w30 this afternoon. If nothing else, I got the price locked in as a hedge against tomorrow.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The way I have it figured when the stuff finally DOES hit the fan most of us here will just start raking it around in our gardens. :p The fan blades should help to disperse it evenly. :cool:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wish people would get some perspective and realize that most of the dire circumstances being discussed here -- expensive gas! scarce supplies! loss of housing! reduced circumstances! struggling to survive! runaway inflation! -- are the normal way of life for a huge portion of the human race
Most of which is completely unnecessary and avoidable.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Foreclosures up 12% in January, Yep no crisis for those folks or the millions before them. U6 numbers show 26% unemployment- Yep no crisis for them either. More banks are in financial stress then at any other time in US history, Yep no crisis there. Commodities up 22% in the last year world wide- Yep no crisis there. The middle east is up in flames and Israel is surrounded by enemies. Half of Europe is battling violent protesters. The United states is looking at 3/4 of the states being broke and looking at deep cuts and if the Wisconsin teachers are any indicator it's not going to get any better.

Laws passed so you can not sell home grown food. proposed laws that want to take away natural supplements, a master switch on the internet, fairness doctrine that limits free speech, the extension of the patriot act..........

Yep you are right. All is rosy. Life is good and it is all as it has always been. I need to get a script for prozac and chill out so that I can be like everyone else.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Wallybear said:
Foreclosures up 12% in January, Yep no crisis for those folks or the millions before them. U6 numbers show 26% unemployment- Yep no crisis for them either. More banks are in financial stress then at any other time in US history, Yep no crisis there. Commodities up 22% in the last year world wide- Yep no crisis there. The middle east is up in flames and Israel is surrounded by enemies. Half of Europe is battling violent protesters. The United states is looking at 3/4 of the states being broke and looking at deep cuts and if the Wisconsin teachers are any indicator it's not going to get any better.

Laws passed so you can not sell home grown food. proposed laws that want to take away natural supplements, a master switch on the internet, fairness doctrine that limits free speech, the extension of the patriot act..........

Yep you are right. All is rosy. Life is good and it is all as it has always been. I need to get a script for prozac and chill out so that I can be like everyone else.
Hey, don't forget your TV with canned laughter to help you forget reality.