So is the s*%t starting to hit the fan for you?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Not yet, but DH and I are checking out property today for the "compound"

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've selected a realtor and will put our home up for sale in March, when the plants are popping, the vineyard will start to sprout, and the garden will be cleaned up. Now we'll need a rich Google employee or similar millionaire to fall in love with our place and buy it as a vacation home.

We have our eye on a fixer upper on 2 acres for $159,000. Its a mess, bank owned, but we are handy handy handy. We're thinking that it may be around for a while cus fixer uppers just don't sell out here.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It does depend on the state. I think in Colorado "Some folks just need a' killin' " is a legitimate defense. (Well, not in Boulder, but we don't count them as being in Colorado anyway :D )
Come on, don't paint Colorado that way. We're not a border state. Of course Colorado Springs is an exception.;)

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
moolie said:
TanksHill said:
Moolie, that was a very good read. Very informative. And yes your right we Americans are a bit insulated as to what goes on with our neighbors to the north.

g
Tanks, I really hope that didn't come out the wrong way. :)

America heavily influences Canadian culture, although we do see ourselves as a separate culture for many reasons. Most Canadians who watch tv get all the American networks and many of your other cable channels, despite Can-con rules (our media agency the CRTC mandates that a certain number of programming hours per day be Canadian content).

I think many of us are often surprised that most Americans aren't or at least don't seem to be as aware of what goes on in Canada as we Canadians are aware of what goes on in the US. Same for the rest of the world, I have many European, British, and Australian friends and acquaintances through my work and most feel that the US media doesn't report on the same level of international news that the rest of our media does.

Again, not to insult in any way, just to explain from a different point of view. I believe that a thread like this would be quite an eye-opener to many of my international friends.

For example, I have British friends who lived through the IRA "troubles", the frequent bombings in London and other cities throughout the 70s and 80s, who don't understand American terrorism-phobia. As they did during the Blitz in WWII, my Brit friends just got up every day and went on with their lives as usual, despite visible IRA bomb damage in their daily landscape.

I also think these friends have no idea of the economic effect of the recession on average Americans. Most have felt very little change in their everyday lives as I have.
Many Americans feel they are exclusive. As in we are special in the eyes of God. Because of this the country tends to not know a thing about the rest of the world. The closest we get is 1 semester of world history and a geography class where we learn the names of the continents. The great depression is thought of as a US event, when in fact it affected most of the world.

Canada is that place you have to drive through to get to Alaska. You're right. Unless you live on the border of Canada, you most likely don't know anything about it.

By the way your post was a very good read. You have a very good outlook.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
most of your common folks in America don't know what is outside their city, let alone what is in their state lol

but also, most "people" in other countries don't know about America, Itlay, Greece, Turkey, ETC ETC...the real America.....they are fed crap media also about all countries too.

I love Canada --- have been there many times skiing and vacationing and just think the people are great (well the ones I met) :clap

but that money conversion...haha...drove me nutso :bun

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
No biggie now, we're on par again ;)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I love Canada --- have been there many times skiing and vacationing and just think the people are great (well the ones I met) :clap

I've met a fair number of Canadians while vacationing in the Caribbean (back in the good ol' days)...the joke at all the big resorts was that "you can always tell who the Canadians are; they have a drink in one hand & a cigarette in the other!" :lol: In other words, they knew how to par-tay!

Regarding my fellow countrymen/women, it doesn't bother me so much that they don't know what's going on in Canada, Greece, etc. What bothers me is so many of them know so little of their own country. Remember the old Letterman "man on the street" interviews? How many people didn't know who the vice-president was, or how many members are in the House of Representatives? That is a national embarassment, IMHO. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
"you can always tell who the Canadians are; they have a drink in one hand & a cigarette in the other!" :lol: In other words, they knew how to par-tay!
nope, that was me! :) good ol' American :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think alot of people in every country knows alot about their countries in general.....some more than others probably.

I guess people are way too stressed with daily life to care about what is going on more than 50 miles from their homes??

:idunno :idunno