So much for safe nuke power

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
need, demand
lol it is all the same to people lol

think of all the people who have no power...in all those countries.
many live without power

ask a village somewhere if they wouldn't mind a plant being built to get them into the current century.....more would say BUILD NOW then be against lol (just a guess obviously but come on, power is NEEDED)

power is needed because WHAT people have built do REQUIRE power now to sustain. need refrigeration? sure

demand was why it was built---need is why it has to be sustained to such a high level now

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
need, demand
lol it is all the same to people lol

think of all the people who have no power...in all those countries.
many live without power

ask a village somewhere if they wouldn't mind a plant being built to get them into the current century.....more would say BUILD NOW then be against lol (just a guess obviously but come on, power is NEEDED)

power is needed because WHAT people have built do REQUIRE power now to sustain. need refrigeration? sure

demand was why it was built---need is why it has to be sustained to such a high level now
Pretty much what I was thinking.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
need, demand
lol it is all the same to people
<shrug> I like to think that sometimes people are not complete chimps.

(Mind you I say "sometimes", by which I guess I mean "occasionally" or okay really more like "every now and then", but still, people DO seem occasionally to be capable of reining in their greed when faced with serious consequences.)

And I think that to use the WORD need instead of demand, in cases like this, just perpetuates chimpheaded behavior.

(No offense meant to actual chimpanzees who would quite possibly act more intelligently than people do, in many circumstances, LOL)

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nearly every energy source has huge pros and cons. I think nuclear's cons tend to be pretty enormous, but look at gas, oil, coal, even solar and wind.

Nations are industrializing, and it pulls them out of abject poverty. We hate seeing the consequences of this in other nations, but we have already gone through our own industrial revolution and its consequences.

I don't know what to think about this. We are constantly being reminded, though, that energy consumption has huge costs to society. I would like to see people cut their usage dramatically, and I would like for gov't to build our cities in a way that this would be possible.

We have already decided we want to be a developed nation, but perhaps we could cut back on use quite a lot.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Everyone likes to gripe about energy conservation, but who is actually doing something about it?

How many of you buy only local?
How many go to the store only once per month?
How many drive your kids to LESS THAN 10 different places through the week?
How many of you have your TV's turned off?
How many of you walk to any destination ever?
How many can afford to have solar installed, or wind power?

Wonder how much one AVERAGE family uses per day? ...and how many windmills/solar panels/fossil fuels would it take to make that much juice just for one family every day?

Most other sources of power are just NOT feasible with the current demand no matter what we think of it.

This is a moot arguement :hu

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
demand is need

it was demanded to gain some convenience in life for most people across the planet.....NOW it is a need to continue society.

power is not a want or demand now

it is a need, simple fact

take power away as we know it and you have total chaos.

demand and need are the same thing when talking about something that controls societies to our level

even a chimp can turn on a light switch lol what that has to do with anything, heck I don't know hahaha the chimp doesn't want to be in the dark and he don't care where the actual power originates from

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Everyone likes to gripe about energy conservation, but who is actually doing something about it?

How many of you buy only local?
How many go to the store only once per month?
How many drive your kids to LESS THAN 10 different places through the week?
How many of you have your TV's turned off?
How many of you walk to any destination ever?
How many can afford to have solar installed, or wind power?

Wonder how much one AVERAGE family uses per day? ...and how many windmills/solar panels/fossil fuels would it take to make that much juice just for one family every day?

Most other sources of power are just NOT feasible with the current demand no matter what we think of it.

This is a moot arguement :hu
We do most of this, but it's not very practical and so most people won't. For example, in America we are built on the idea of cheap gas. Urban sprawl, etc. It's not practical for many, many people to walk or bike to work (11+ miles for, for example).

We have land, so we grow/hunt a lot of our food and can cut back on grocery trips big time. But what about people who can't.

Don't have a TV.

Looking into solar.

Yeah, it'd be great if people cut way, way back on electric. Maybe it should be like cigarettes--tax it like crazy and see how fast people learn to conserve.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is a way of life now.

for most countries--and I mean darn near all of them ...not some backward African village in the middle of nowhere or a Mongolian herder up in the mts...........most countries live exactly like the good old USA.

try to get the world to stop living the way they are....won't happen.

sure WE can all use less, be smaller footprint, etc. get everyone to do it...ain't happening. I would never it expect it too actually.

tax electricity thru the roof and the economy stops.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not to pee on anyone's parade regarding "safe" nuclear power, but Japan gets earthquakes ALL THE TIME. That's why many of their buildings are engineered the way they are. It's not a question on how safe nuclear power is, it's a question of WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID SOMEONE DECIDE TO BUILD NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS IN ONE OF THE MOST EARTHQUAKE PRONE REGIONS IN THE WORLD?!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When is the last time there was an earthquake THAT BAD followed by that kind of Tsunami?

Status
Not open for further replies.