So much for safe nuke power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
There's 106 nuke plants in the USA. The only one that has had a problem that was disclosed was Three Mile Island. There are a lot more minor incidents you don't hear about though. It used to be hard to get that info. I bet it's all on line now. Yep I'm too lazy to look.

Odds wise the nuclear power is probably safer. After all it doesn't put out that much in emissions. It's just that if there is an accident and they are unable to control the hydrogen build up and explosion it could kill a lot of people in a slow agonizing way. I guess we'll see what the results are in a few years.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
For everyone saying, get rid of cell phones, TV, cars, etc. Come on. Not all risks are created equal. Think about the cancer rates and PERSISTENT, to-this-day level of birth defects in areas where people have been exposed to radiation.

So, please don't act like some people are advocating NO risks. They're just advocating weighing the risks quite carefully.

And, most of the risks you all mention are CHOSEN by you! A nuclear disaster affects everyone, whether they had wanted the nuclear plant or not. And many, many generations into the future.

And honestly, Farmerchick--if a nuclear accident happened by you, it would be wonderful? Seriously? You're fine with your daughter exposed to radiation? I get that you support nuclear power, but it's hard to take you seriously with that kind of attitude about it.
Guess that could only mean me.

All the little gadgets listed both give off a bit of radiation, check the warning labels, AND consume electricity. So yeah, come on, give it up or don't. Those are risks you're willing to take, but do YOU have an answer to their consumption other than nuclear power? If you find a more feasible option, I'm all ears. you have to take the good with the bad though when speaking of radiation and risks. It is a small risk living a few hundred miles from a nuke power plant, so you have the option of NOT living there. Others may choose to live next door to one. That is their personal level of comfort with the risk at hand.

This to me is just like the kind of alarmism that is rampant in the media, check statistics and know the real risk factors and make your OWN decisions accordingly. Shoving the idea of nuclear power being soooo much more dangerous than other kinds of energy production down folks throats because of some hyperinflated risk factor in your mind...is silly. It's no more risky than a whole gamut of things you gladly accept every day.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm not advocating shutting down nuclear plants. I'm not even advocating not building new ones. I'm simply stating that equating the risk of cell phones with a nuclear disaster is a bit disingenuous.

I guess my only opinion for now is:
1. Cut down consumption on all fronts.
2. Diversify power sources, as they all have risks and I don't want all my risks in one basket.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I'm not advocating shutting down nuclear plants. I'm not even advocating not building new ones. I'm simply stating that equating the risk of cell phones with a nuclear disaster is a bit disingenuous.

I guess my only opinion for now is:
1. Cut down consumption on all fronts.
2. Diversify power sources, as they all have risks and I don't want all my risks in one basket.
Now see there we actually agree :lol: except for the disengenuous part, because alot of small things, do indeed make a great big pile ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I said if it didn't happen it would be wonderful.

if it happened sure I would be having troubles along with a million other people. Sure I would say oh crap, this stinks, life sucks, etc....but geez, who wouldn't lol ---risk, not worried. we all have risk every single day. this nuclear plant near me does NOT worry me one bit is what I said.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, FC--I misread that one! It didn't seem like something you'd say :) I am fine with people accepting their own risks, but perhaps because cancer is one of my greatest fears (I don't really have many other fears), I would be quite leery of living close to a nuclear plant myself.

So, sorry again, FC :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no problem I figured you thought I was being flip and saying it that way....but no, I sure don't want anything to happen, but I don't let it scare me at all either lol

Those high intensity power lines that run everywhere. I read (be cautious cause I read stuff and can't remember) but they say those do cancer etc. Screw up the energy/electrical of your body. I would be more scared of living next to those power lines running right by my home than a nuclear station 20 miles away.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
no problem I figured you thought I was being flip and saying it that way....but no, I sure don't want anything to happen, but I don't let it scare me at all either lol

Those high intensity power lines that run everywhere. I read (be cautious cause I read stuff and can't remember) but they say those do cancer etc. Screw up the energy/electrical of your body. I would be more scared of living next to those power lines running right by my home than a nuclear station 20 miles away.
me too! Electricity is just a beast either way ya cut it aint it?!?! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.