So much for self-sufficiency....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Cops nab bizarre Prospect Park poachers

Cops have busted a group of oddball poachers in Prospect Park a band of vagrants that was trapping and eating ducks, squirrels and pigeons.

Parks officers wrote four tickets two for killing wildlife and two for illegal fishing totaling $2,100 in fines during a two-day period last week.

The city would not immediately release details of the incidents, which occurred on July 17 and 18 just days after park-goers told rangers about a Beverly Hillbillies-like scene on the southeast side of the lake, near the ice skating rink...........

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Who wrote that article? A twelve year old PETA enthusiast?! I'm impressed at the total lack of professionalism of the writing, as well as some poor grammar. Those people sound right up my alley! I must be a "Beverly hill billy". I've often thought about how much food is walking or swimming around in the park here. Hundreds of 2ft+ trout, hundreds of ducks, dozens of geese, etc. Wouldn't be a bad place to make a meal, lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The real irony? They are ticketting and fining VAGRANTS. Do they actually think these folks can pay the fine??? :rolleyes: Let the poor folk eat! Better yet, give them a good recipe for feral cat. :)

S

sunsaver

Sorry, but i agree with the cops. Those animals are on public land and belong to the public, not a handful of zombies. If a pigeon, coon, or possum comes on to MY property, i will trap it and eat it. But if some zombies come onto my property and start trapping and fishing, i will shoot them. They'd be lucky to get away with just a fine. Get your own land, zombies. Leave my animals alone. I will eat them when i'm ready!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Sorry, but i agree with the cops. Those animals are on public land and belong to the public, not a handful of zombies. If a pigeon, coon, or possum comes on to MY property, i will trap it and eat it. But if some zombies come onto my property and start trapping and fishing, i will shoot them. They'd be lucky to get away with just a fine. Get your own land, zombies. Leave my animals alone. I will eat them when i'm ready!
:yuckyuck

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a groundhog, a couple of rabbits, a weasel, and various small varmints that are free for the taking! :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I have to agree. Poaching is poaching.
Most animals fall under some sort of hunting law, and as such, are "owned" by the state they live in. There are exceptions to most of them, but what these people did, does not fall under any exception.
And hunting laws serve a very real purpose and need.

All that aside, the article is a hoot in a horrible way. Hunting animals is not murder. They are not humans.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to favor the Beverly Hillbillies. Maybe the city needs to consider special permits for the homeless to catch fish for their own consumption. As for winged rats (pigeons), if every person in the city ate one a week, I doubt' that you could put a dent into the population. Let the PETAphiles go hungry for a while, and see how they feel about it then. Viva la Hillbillies!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sure beats the hell out of them breaking into people's homes and stealing money so they can buy food (or even breakin in to steal the food itself, that'd creep me out worse than stealing money). Most of the animals in parks are "domesticated" wild animals. They wouldn't be able to survive in such numbers if the public weren't feeding them. Which, might I mention, many places don't allow the feeding of park animals!!!