So much for self-sufficiency....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...when it comes to hungry people vs. a few city animals, I will side with the hungry people every time. Obviously they can't afford a meal, let alone their own land. Poaching is a relative term when someone is hungry. If your family was starving and it wasn't yet deer season, I'm betting there would be some tenderloin on that table.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yep...when it comes to hungry people vs. a few city animals, I will side with the hungry people every time. Obviously they can't afford a meal, let alone their own land. Poaching is a relative term when someone is hungry. If your family was starving and it wasn't yet deer season, I'm betting there would be some tenderloin on that table.
word.

i thought it article was really snarky. mocking a bunch of poor people by calling them the "Beverly Hillbillies" is just shameful. if we lived in normal times - yeah sure maybe they shouldnt be doing that. trespassing is a crime.

but hungry people trying to get food? are you kidding? how do you think those poor people feel when the rich folk come on down and throw bread at the ducks? i'm betting those poor folks could all use a sandwich - not contempt.

our grandma survived the real Depression by living on a farm. our grandpa - he lived in the city and you can bet a lot of people ate pigeon and squirrel just to get by.

as for that last comment. i'm a goose lover too - roasted and stuffed with sage. and dont get me started on goose liver pate - yum.

them peta folks can bite me. shame on all of them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree. My dad and his sibs used to build little homemade traps for songbirds when they were little and then proceed to build a fire right there and roast those little birds. He said he was so hungry that the effort was worth the small amount of meat on the bird. When they got to attend school their lunch was a lard bucket with buttermilk over cornbread....every day. They would all go up on the hill above the school, so the other kids wouldn't see them, and eat out of the same bucket.

One can be quite smug if they have never known true hunger....heck, around here the world comes to an end if a stomach growls a couple of times! :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Honestly, considering the depth of this depression, they would be smart to simply allow poaching in the parks, but they'd get sued the first time someone got sick from doing so. The homeless would end up with a mansion in reparations lol.

I don't feel at all bad for the animals. PETA is just... PITA. But this is only going to grow as the depression continues. People are hungry. *shrugs* And those with food are feeling the pinch and sharing less.

I do have to giggle that they took a simple vagrancy and poaching incident and turn it into crimes against animals. :rolleyes:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I myself have been observing the wild ducks in the dam down the road, and wondering if they kept nests near the water for eggs.
Me too. Doesn't make it legal though :D But if it comes down to me starving or me put in jail with 3 squares and heating, guess what I'll pick!

S

sunsaver

I have a relative who chooses to be homeless because he refuses to work. He believes that everything should be free and that there should be no law and order. He thinks that people will naturally cooperate and live in peace and harmony with each other and nature. He makes a living by wandering around southern California, eating berries and fruits from private farms, orchards, and vinyards. Not only is it wrong, its illegal. And if it were not for law and order, we would be the slaves of the biggest baddest dude with the biggest and baddest guns. It would be wild west or mad max, not communal peace and love.
People who are poor not by their own choice, can go to shelters, churches, or food assistance programs. There is no need to poach on public or private land. I will feed anybody who asks, or direct them to an organization that will. But the bums like my relative who just don't want to work, gain no sympathy from me. He has been arrested several times for trespassing and poaching, and has been banned from several counties and native American lands across the western US. His own grandparents kicked him out of the house because he refused to even look for a job. So if i catch one of these anarchists stealing some of my berries, he will get a new hole in his body.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I stayed in a town for a work project in northern New Jersey about 10 years ago. There was a small park where the vagrants hunted and fished late at night. There where many folks in the community who said they weren't hurting anything. So, even though there were laws on the books against poaching, the cops turned a blind eye. As spring turned into summer the group of 6 homeless became 30. The trash, the grocery carts, the stolen lawn furniture, the dead fish, the dead animals, and the rotting (summer time) garbage could be smelled all across town. The tax payers children were afraid to go into the park anytime day or night. The burglaries in the area increased. Finally, a woman who was jogging through the park was dragged into the wooded area and raped. The homeless guy who freely admitted to the rape said he had several buddies waiting their turn when another jogger heard the victim's screams and came to investigate. The police report mentioned that there were 2 female homeless there who just "wanted to watch".

Sure, let the bums take over. Let's encourage them all we can. NOT!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Never having lived in a city such as that, I suppose you guys would have a different perspective on these things. You see, out here in the country hungry has another face~slightly less lethal~but I know about giving an inch and folks taking a mile. I concede to the fact that this could possibly escalate into just such a scenario as you describe. How sad to live in a place that has these problems....don't you city/urban folks ever just want to move away from it? :idunno

I still think matching vagrants and feral cats would be a good solution! ;)

S

sunsaver

A feral cat soup kitchen? Excellent idea! :lol: As long as they are humanely dispatched.