So what do I need to do to be self sufficient in 2014?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing that has helped us a lot is when I discovered that one of my friends does volunteer work at the local Hospice thrift store. She has all our sizes, and will let us know if anything nice comes in, or if something goes on sale (they use different colored price tags, and every week a different color tag goes to 50% off). She has called me to let me know if something comes in that I might like (for instance a leather couch, armchair and ottoman in excellent condition for a total price of $100!), and just this week one of her customers asked if she knew anyone that would like some glass jars (not canning jars, but good for holding dehydrated goods) and I ended up with 2 cases of spaghetti sauce jars for free.

If you can make friends with someone who volunteers in a thrift shop- or if you volunteer in a thrift shop- you could find yourself with all kinds of bargains (a television for $25, a crockpot and a blender for $5 each)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
...just this week one of her customers asked if she knew anyone that would like some glass jars (not canning jars, but good for holding dehydrated goods) and I ended up with 2 cases of spaghetti sauce jars for free.

If you can make friends with someone who volunteers in a thrift shop- or if you volunteer in a thrift shop- you could find yourself with all kinds of bargains (a television for $25, a crockpot and a blender for $5 each)
Good idea to check those jars in case they fit regular mouth canning rings--a lot of them do, and I do most of my tomato sauce canning in commercial sauce jars that a friend of mine saves for me :)

I also have a friend who volunteers at a thrift store and we have got some amazing deals because of her eagle eye and ability to put things aside for me!