So what do I need to do to be self sufficient in 2014?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Think about what you spend money on besides food. What can you do to be more self sufficient in these areas? Start using cloth instead of paper products? Use glass jars for storage rather than baggies? Learn to cut hair, do your own plumbing, car maintenance, bake your own bread? You may not choose to do these things on a regular basis, but it would behoove you to know how to do them.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would make sure you do all your SS projects one step at a time. Sometimes there can be too many cooks in the kitchen and before you know it youll find yourself overwhelmed. I work full time plus I have a horse farm so free time is pretty much non existent. I try and focus on a few things but try and be really good at it. Once you are good enough, you can barter your products for products that other people are good at, instead of spending money and time (that you possibly might not have) in trying to produce the good yourself. Not wanting to discourage you, just trying to give you a perspective. I have a group of friends and we all garden. I trade my tomatoes, pumpkins, old dusty hay and horse manure for duck eggs, egg cartons, jellys, other produce, etc. You can get quite creative once you learn what you are good at and what not. I always feel that trying to do too many things at one can be overwhelming so I try to specialize first before adding on new ideas.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will begin by saying this is MY Opinion, not based on anything but MY OPINION so here goes.
You mention that you are on someone elses land. As long as you are on someone elses land, they will have the right to wait until you have built them a beautiful "Turn-Key" operation for THEIR survival and displace you. I have a good friend who had that happen so I am hoping you will be able to benefit from this advice. Do NOT spend your hard earned money and work on someone elses place because no matter how much they tell you what nice folks they are, (UNLESS they are YOUR PaRENTS or those of your husband, in which case that changes my approach) you will be very hurt.

I'd rather see you find your own land regardless of how small and work that for yourself rather than have to give it back to the landlord after you have made it the way YOU wanted. You have young children. They should be entitled to benefit from your hard work when that time comes.

So in essence start with your own land and home. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ICU - That would be ideal, but Ninny's situation requires them to be where they are for the time being.

No sense in waiting for some stuff, ya know? Or that's my opinion, anyway. There are plenty of things you can learn, things that are easily moved to another location in the future. Just don't get discouraged, take it all one step at a time. Learning to make your own convenience foods, canning, etc will help save you money to use on other things like chickens, etc. Free range and harvesting your critters food for winter will save on feed costs, too.

Barter, barter, barter, auctions, yard sales, thrift stores...and tell folks what you need or what you're looking for. Have a bit of patience to look and you'll probably end up with cheap/free stuff.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I will begin by saying this is MY Opinion, not based on anything but MY OPINION so here goes.
You mention that you are on someone elses land. As long as you are on someone elses land, they will have the right to wait until you have built them a beautiful "Turn-Key" operation for THEIR survival and displace you. I have a good friend who had that happen so I am hoping you will be able to benefit from this advice. Do NOT spend your hard earned money and work on someone elses place because no matter how much they tell you what nice folks they are, (UNLESS they are YOUR PaRENTS or those of your husband, in which case that changes my approach) you will be very hurt.

I'd rather see you find your own land regardless of how small and work that for yourself rather than have to give it back to the landlord after you have made it the way YOU wanted. You have young children. They should be entitled to benefit from your hard work when that time comes.

So in essence start with your own land and home. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Trim sends
//BT//
They are my inlaws we share two houses on 5 acres. Not sure if we will be looking to buy in the future or swapping houses as they get older. I just got angora rabbits, seeds will be order on Thursday and chicks come end of month!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good start. One of the biggest ways we have become more self sufficient is bartering, and couponing. Even when we were both unemployed, we didn't hurt too bad for anything because of that. It's important to know your neighbors. No man is an island type thing...and it's good you share something with the inlaws IMO! As they age you'll be a benefit to them as well as them to you. Community is most important in the illusion of "self" sufficiency ;)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ninny said:
Icu4dzs said:

Trim sends
//BT//
They are my inlaws we share two houses on 5 acres. Not sure if we will be looking to buy in the future or swapping houses as they get older. I just got angora rabbits, seeds will be order on Thursday and chicks come end of month!!
This fact changes my outlook. Since they are your inlaws they and you have a vested interest in your success. That is good. Much of their intrinsic reward is the love and enjoyment of the grandchildren.
That having been solved, it would be my recommendation to concentrate on three essential categories of things other than what you have read above.

The first is resources for knowlege you don't already have.
It is true that the "doing" of things gives one the confidence and improved skills to certain tasks but then what you may benefit from most is BOOKS on "HOW TO ___" For each skill or set of skills, there are now numerous books on how to do them written by folks whose experience over time has given them the ability to "teach" you their skills in the form of these books. Your ability to perform/learn those skills will be greatly enhanced by the benefit of their expertise, to which you will be able to refer any time you wish as well as share those skills with your friends and most importantly, your children. Invest your biggest effort in them. Books have lots of pictures for folks like me who are visual/auditory learners. Video's are good but they depend on the use of energy and a functioning machine to display them. Books work everytime you open them...no extrinsic energy needed there.

The second area would be (IMHO) tools. For every job you do, you will find that in many situations you will need some specific tool to make the job a bit more easy or time efficient (very important to folks like me with limited amounts of time to do things). The cost of the job if you do it yourself and the cost of the job when someone else does it will vary depending on your particular skill set. Some jobs you will just HAVE to leave to others with specific skills/knowlege because of some danger or possibility of serious consequences for failure. Given no really serious consequences for failure, do the job yourself and buy the tool/tools for that job because invariably, you will need those tools again which will decrease your cost of the next job to simply buy materials...which brings me to the next category which is materials.

Buy materials when you do a job and you will pay the highest price for them because you won't be able to wait...you need them NOW. On the other hand, study the situation in your environment and anticipate the jobs you will need to do in the near or even distant future (assuming we aren't talking about more than 1 year or so). Make lists of things you will need in the near future. Look at the kitchen sink. Is it beginning to corrode at the faucet? You get the idea.
Then when you go to lumber yards, hardware stores, etc. you will have the list of jobs coming up. Watch for really good deals on things and buy them when they are cheapest to buy. That way, you will be ready for the job when it comes and will often be able to afford a better quality of an item because it is "last years style" rather than this years so it is now $.10 on the dollar. Strike while the iron is hot. Buy your tools when you see them on sale, also. You will know which ones are essential and which ones are "nice to have" on the list.
Buying things when they are lowest in price softens the blow of the cost of the job. It hurts bad enough to lie face up under a nasty old sink and try to remove those corroded on twist nuts from the faucet when you are listening to the "DW" standing there needing to use the sink and crabbing at you because it is 'taking so long". Don't ask me how I know this...Just trust me on it.

Stocking certain types of materials (well organized for use when needed) makes the jobs that come up in the middle of the night or on the holiday weekend when there is nothing open really does make life a lot more fun. Having the books to read to learn to do that job that the tradesman can't do for two more weeks (or forever in certain cases of possible economic collapse, etc) makes the entire experience much less traumatic, not only to you but to the "DW"

I realize this may sound a bit off considering the fact that economic resources may not be readily available for what may be viewed by some "DW" as "frivolous" but getting that thing fixed "right now" because you had the tool, the skills and the materials will make you a lot more "welcome at home" later that day...(in some cases)

This advice extends to all phases and issues in the road to self-sufficiency. The tools make life a lot easier. The better the tool, the better the job. Now as for buying tools, there are some helpful hints. First, it is OK to buy a used tool that has no obvious defects or hidden surprises like a bad moving part. Wrenches, sockets, rulers, and any handtools, etc fit that category. Farm equipment also fits that category. Just because someone else used it first really has no bearing on the utility of the item. You can find them at really bargain prices at pawn shops and garage/yard sales. Learn which manufacturers are the best, don't "tip your hand of knowlege" to the owner of the pawn shop (don't buy every "snap-on" tool he has and expect him to let it go cheap) but as the old guy said in the Indiana Jones movie, "CHOOSE WISELY". Gardening tools are a good buy second hand. Buy good ones, sharpen them if needed and put them back into service for your garden.

"Caveat Emptor"..."Let the buyer beware" is still a true philosophy particularly with tools that are "electric" or have moving parts that require close tolerances. Some folks pawn stuff that should have been thrown away...

That in my opinion is one of the ways to be "prepared" for any contingency of life. Having the tools, the resources to know how to do the job and the materials to do it will help you feel confident and more able to deal with whatever comes our way.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
ninny said:
Icu4dzs said:

Trim sends
//BT//
This fact changes my outlook. Since they are your inlaws they and you have a vested interest in your success. That is good. Much of their intrinsic reward is the love and enjoyment of the grandchildren.
That having been solved, it would be my recommendation to concentrate on three essential categories of things other than what you have read above.

The first is resources for knowlege you don't already have.
It is true that the "doing" of things gives one the confidence and improved skills to certain tasks but then what you may benefit from most is BOOKS on "HOW TO ___" For each skill or set of skills, there are now numerous books on how to do them written by folks whose experience over time has given them the ability to "teach" you their skills in the form of these books. Your ability to perform/learn those skills will be greatly enhanced by the benefit of their expertise, to which you will be able to refer any time you wish as well as share those skills with your friends and most importantly, your children. Invest your biggest effort in them. Books have lots of pictures for folks like me who are visual/auditory learners. Video's are good but they depend on the use of energy and a functioning machine to display them. Books work everytime you open them...no extrinsic energy needed there.

The second area would be (IMHO) tools. For every job you do, you will find that in many situations you will need some specific tool to make the job a bit more easy or time efficient (very important to folks like me with limited amounts of time to do things). The cost of the job if you do it yourself and the cost of the job when someone else does it will vary depending on your particular skill set. Some jobs you will just HAVE to leave to others with specific skills/knowlege because of some danger or possibility of serious consequences for failure. Given no really serious consequences for failure, do the job yourself and buy the tool/tools for that job because invariably, you will need those tools again which will decrease your cost of the next job to simply buy materials...which brings me to the next category which is materials.

Buy materials when you do a job and you will pay the highest price for them because you won't be able to wait...you need them NOW. On the other hand, study the situation in your environment and anticipate the jobs you will need to do in the near or even distant future (assuming we aren't talking about more than 1 year or so). Make lists of things you will need in the near future. Look at the kitchen sink. Is it beginning to corrode at the faucet? You get the idea.
Then when you go to lumber yards, hardware stores, etc. you will have the list of jobs coming up. Watch for really good deals on things and buy them when they are cheapest to buy. That way, you will be ready for the job when it comes and will often be able to afford a better quality of an item because it is "last years style" rather than this years so it is now $.10 on the dollar. Strike while the iron is hot. Buy your tools when you see them on sale, also. You will know which ones are essential and which ones are "nice to have" on the list.
Buying things when they are lowest in price softens the blow of the cost of the job. It hurts bad enough to lie face up under a nasty old sink and try to remove those corroded on twist nuts from the faucet when you are listening to the "DW" standing there needing to use the sink and crabbing at you because it is 'taking so long". Don't ask me how I know this...Just trust me on it.

Stocking certain types of materials (well organized for use when needed) makes the jobs that come up in the middle of the night or on the holiday weekend when there is nothing open really does make life a lot more fun. Having the books to read to learn to do that job that the tradesman can't do for two more weeks (or forever in certain cases of possible economic collapse, etc) makes the entire experience much less traumatic, not only to you but to the "DW"

I realize this may sound a bit off considering the fact that economic resources may not be readily available for what may be viewed by some "DW" as "frivolous" but getting that thing fixed "right now" because you had the tool, the skills and the materials will make you a lot more "welcome at home" later that day...(in some cases)

This advice extends to all phases and issues in the road to self-sufficiency. The tools make life a lot easier. The better the tool, the better the job. Now as for buying tools, there are some helpful hints. First, it is OK to buy a used tool that has no obvious defects or hidden surprises like a bad moving part. Wrenches, sockets, rulers, and any handtools, etc fit that category. Farm equipment also fits that category. Just because someone else used it first really has no bearing on the utility of the item. You can find them at really bargain prices at pawn shops and garage/yard sales. Learn which manufacturers are the best, don't "tip your hand of knowlege" to the owner of the pawn shop (don't buy every "snap-on" tool he has and expect him to let it go cheap) but as the old guy said in the Indiana Jones movie, "CHOOSE WISELY". Gardening tools are a good buy second hand. Buy good ones, sharpen them if needed and put them back into service for your garden.

"Caveat Emptor"..."Let the buyer beware" is still a true philosophy particularly with tools that are "electric" or have moving parts that require close tolerances. Some folks pawn stuff that should have been thrown away...

That in my opinion is one of the ways to be "prepared" for any contingency of life. Having the tools, the resources to know how to do the job and the materials to do it will help you feel confident and more able to deal with whatever comes our way.
GREAT POST! as usual. Just some comments on tools, hand tools that is, often old tools are better than the stuff produced today, good well made steel or cast iron may have some rust. Many tools are plated to hide the fact that they were poorly made. I will pick a high carbon steel knife over stainless anytime, yes stainless is easy to sharpen but won't Hold an edge well. casting today is not the art that it was in the past. China today does some great well made tools [as well as cheap crap] because labor is cheap there that they do a lot of hand tools which thet still use themselves. you have to be careful but don't pass them by lust because they say made in China.Hand forged are better than drop forged which is better than stamped.

Jubilee101.com

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here and just learning the ropes but you guys really do give some good advise. Thanks!