So you purchased a gun? Is the family safer now than before?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
~gd said:
the cops told me that I couldn't keep my unloaded shot gun near my door and they would take it if they saw it again. For short range personal protection they suggested one of those aerosol wasp sprays that will throw a steady stream about 10 yards.
This seems completely bizarre! Where is it written in state law that you can't keep an unloaded gun inside your own home? What would be the grounds for confiscating it?? :rant I was first told it could be taken under "causing terror in the street' but that charge is usually thrown out because there was no terror caused. I suguest you look in the fine print dealing with declared disasters. The SOBs even took away the right to drive and threw a cerfew (sp) that said that you could not be outside your house between sunset and sunrise! this was all for our own safety of course. what really burned me up is they set up check points just out side the disaster area and the fat.. oops i mean well reared officers would take first shot at the food being cooked and brought in by the church ladies who were trying to feed the real victims. At lease one woman objected to the well reared deputy that was going through her basket like he was starving to death [heck the salvation army had donuts 50 feet from where he was standing] if anyone reading this is a LEO or the spouse of a LEO I am sorry but they re-earned the PIG nickname this time She was cuffed but supposedly not arrested for the protection of the officer. one of the bystanders was a county commisioner and he got on the Sheriffs hot line the sherrif called the officer in charge on site and everyone disappeared out of site. This took place on saturday, sunday morning 5 churches asked people to "pray for our police officers and other sinners" that got talked about for a while and maybe remembered come election time. about this time the phones started working again as someone replaced the downed cell tower. Some of use less holy types raised enough money to rent a giant pink pig and parked it across the street from the sheriffs office and the local newspaper wanted to know the story behind that. Those LEOs were getting overtime for being there and they spent the time going throug meals meant for the vitiums PIG PIG PIG.
And their method didn't work the looters were coming in on ATVs the LEOs were not patroling and were just depending on the checkpoints to stop them. we would spot the looters and call it in and by the time they got a car from the check point the ATV would be back in the woods where the cars couldn't follow. One of the mounted officers did make a arrest he hid out in a garage and tracked a group into the woods at a horse walking pace. he caught one group going thru their loot thinking they were safe and had to walk themout to a road where a car could pick him up. when National Night Out was held our LEOS were told that they would only be accepted if they brought the horse They did and we made nice but some us will never forget~gd

Personally, we don't have kids, & NO one walks into our home unannounced, not even the inlaws. That being said, I hope & pray I never, ever feel the need to point my gun at anyone. :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Doesn't gun control mean being able to hit your target?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I renovated a house in the inner city of Baltimore in the 1975-79 time frame. I was the only guy with brown hair and blue eyes in 28 square blocks. Obviously, I didn't "fit in".
I used to keep a HR 5 shot .32 revolver in the pocket of my bib overalls when I was working alone or just alone in the house which was nearly all the time.

One day, some friends came over to help with a plumbing job and I decided to go to the package store a block from my house and buy them some cold beer. That day was the only day I saw a police officer (who looked kinda like me if you get my drift) in that neighborhood and he looked at me and said, "I'm like you, I'd rather get caught with it, than without it". He walked away and nothing else was ever said about it. I didn't realize you could see the outline in my pocket of it because I never took it out of the house with me anywhere before that nor did I ever again. I slept on the second floor of that house so if I had to use my option, there just wouldn't be any discussion. When you are in your bedroom, on the second floor, the invader has clearly shown intent to harm you. That is not arguable.

But my philosophy remains, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" and unfortunately, the fire-arm is at the top of that list.

Having had some extensive firearm training in my 40 years of service, I believe I am qualified to handle it safely. And ~gd is right. As long as they are clearly inside the house when you use anything, there is no need to discuss it regardless if it is wasp spray or a .32 cal.

Where I came from GUN CONTROL was a simple concept as long as you have a steady hand and squeeze the trigger gently, not PULL IT! Personally, I agree with the marines who trained me to "never go to a gun fight with anything that starts with less than a 4!"
Trim sends
//BT//

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
My other half agrees with you, Icu4dzs, and I think I'm along the same thought process. And having been around the outskirts of Balto for a while, I have to agree with you. There were just two shootings - one in the parking deck of a mall (that was a targeted shooting), and another in the old neighborhood where we used to live - that was an attempted robbery (no word yet if it was a targeted situation or not). I just don't want to be caught in the cross fire. And that is why I rarely go to the malls or very far away from where we live. Everything we need is right here. MD's gun laws are pretty goofy, too. Though thankfully, they just changed the 'castle law' and now you don't have to be in the furthest reaches of your home in order to lawfully defend yourself from an intruder.

Someday we'll be in a better state that will allow a little more freedom and practicality of gun use.

(And I have to say that "The Option" would be a funny name for a gun...)

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
396506_10150434786403715_522483714_8924136_418358155_n.jpg

381630_10150434787263715_522483714_8924140_1142644115_n.jpg

376131_10150434787803715_522483714_8924142_286257118_n.jpg

384072_10150434789068715_522483714_8924146_627499883_n.jpg

400593_10150434790458715_522483714_8924150_1814794275_n.jpg

404887_10150434792023715_522483714_8924154_1480958202_n.jpg

To answer the original question, I've provided a visual response. The close up of the target about 4-5 pic in is his very first clip through the beretta. Not to bad for a greenhorn eh? After an hours time, my 11 year old was comfortable enough with it that he was safely loading the clip, working the slide, safety, and dropping the clip with his eyes closed and in a safe manner.

By the end of hour 2 he was hitting the 8-9-10 ring consistently at 8 yards. Little bugger started out stripping me. Figure I should start shooting a lighter load like him if I aim to improve my accuracy instead of the arm busters I usually use for hunting. Then again I only use 1-2 bullets for hunting, he he shoots hundreds for fun now :)

So to further answer the original question, yes. I've needed my firearms for personal protection and deterrent and don't go very far from the property without it being on me. I have a household of kids who know all about firearms, respect them, know they are not toys but tools, and have a very healthy respect for them.