So you want a tank of gas, do ya?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. Raising minimum wage is going to turn into a huge mushroom of inflation. In the end, no matter what they do, those from the middle to the bottom of the food chain are going to be hit hardest, while the ones at the top benefit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also think the same of rising minimum wage. But if you pay the same % in taxes at $15 as $10 that's you paying 50% more taxes WOW then the store price goes up and again you/EVERYONE pays MORE taxes.:he
Great plan really if your the one getting those taxes.:lol:

Yep... sales tax is a percentage. so if the item costs more, we pay higher sales taxes. Again no win/no win for us consumers. And again... Common Sense.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the minimum wage should be raised, but just a little. To double the minimum wage is seriously insane.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I have a college degree and can make the same working at the gas station or fast food as my education required job pays why not take the easy route. Why try to improve myself oh you'll soon need a college degree to work at McDonalds to compete. And I have to pay more for the burger. Remember the dollar menu. A lot of low paying jobs are not life long careers although some are. But how can a high school kid compete with a college kid and still learn a good work ethic.
I think the minimum wage should be raised, but just a little. To double the minimum wage is seriously insane.
The minimum wage is strictly a tax deal. The higher it is the less anyone has and the more the gov has. Not a conspiracy theory it's just a really nice way of saying I'm taking more of your money but I said it nicely. I had no worries when I made $5 an hour switched jobs to make 8 woo hoo I'm moving up. Which I did later.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything is rising. Not all due to ANY president....the storms, fires, floods...

My farm insurance went up 22% this yr. OUCH! No changes or claims...just rates!!!!! Happenings everywhere affect those not even involved. :( That was over $37 a month...not wanted.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I may be showing my age... But my very first real job, that I paid income taxes, I was paid the minimum wage of $2.65 an hour.

I still recall this job, to this day. I was accused of stealing a gold neckless. Which I didn't, but they hooked me up to a machine with wires and probes and a strap around my chest and asked me a bunch of stupid questions.

Yep... you guessed it... My very first experience "in the workforce" was a lie detector test. Ofcourse I passed their stupid lie detector test because I didn't steal anything. But that wasn't the point!

I quit that job when they told me I didn't steal the necklace. I recall my exact words... Sitting across the desk of the store manager. "You accused me of stealing, made me take a lie detector test. Just to prove to you, that I told you the truth. You don't deserve to have me working for you, I quit!, Send my check in the mail" and I walked up to the time clock, punched my card and marched out the front door. I was "cocky" back then, maybe I still am a little.

The company went out of business in 1987, I really can't imagine why!

I really could only have dreamed about $15.00 an hour back then. I was so young...

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember getting training to get that nickel raise. I started out at 5.15 but I'm a young pup.
I may be showing my age... But my very first real job, that I paid income taxes, I was paid the minimum wage of $2.65 an hour.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$1.65 minimum wage that I remember.... and waitressing was less..... gas was $.30 a gallon..... and the cars were getting 25 mpg then too without all the electronic crap and emissions..... the better tuned up the cleaner it ran and the better the gas mileage. Plus, you could actually work on them.... and many were standard shift... you could roll any of them to start them if necessary... no chips or computers to shut down ..... didn't cost an arm and a leg to get a mechanic to look at them and if something was wrong you could often jury rig it to get you home or to the parts store or something. Now if a computer chip goes bad, it costs $150 just to get it diagnosed and to tell you it is a $3.95 sensor.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, right on! And we all chipped in for a couple gal of gas to ride around on Fri night. :lol:

And no $100 car keys.