Soap Making 101

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself, I've never chilled it and I've even seen a recipe in my soaping book where you BAKE the soap and it cures overnight. Are you trying to avoid the gel stage?

I've insulated mine with a towel, to KEEP it warm, except when I used goat milk in the recipe, because Glenolam told me you don't need to worry about goat milk being warm enough (or something like that). Glenolam?????? Free, you must have this answer as well....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Goat's milk soap will darken if insulated, sometimes unevenly. Even setting the mold (I use a plastic dishpan) on a wooden table can be too much insulation. Soap without goat's milk....I've always kept it warm, not cold. I don't put mine in the fridge....but maybe that would keep it whiter? I like the shades of light tan that it gets, and it is easier, so I don't worry about making very white soap, so I haven't tried it.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Well, I put it in the fridge because that's what my book said to do. :p I can't remember why exactly, but I will go find my book and report back. It is goat milk soap. She (book author) really warned about not putting it in an insulating mold. She really scared me away from using wood, which confuses me because LOTS of people make goat milk soap in wooden molds. In fact, I want to use a wood mold, because I want rectangular bars of soap. I figured I'd try it this way (with a silicone mold from the thrift store) and see what happens, then try the wood mold.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can use a plastic box as a mold, just find one with a smooth bottom. Even if it doesn't have a smooth bottom, you can trim off the ridges from the soap with a veg peeler. I use the dishpan and save the rounded corner bars for us and sell the square ones.

SoapJuly2011003.jpg

SoapJuly2011011.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
In my opinion wooden molds are not all they are cracked up to be. The lye in the raw soap can even cause the grain to rise and leave you with a splintery box. I don't use wooden spoons for soap either for the same reason. If I want square or rectangular bars I use one of those Gladware black "oven proof" plastic dishes. They even have a lid! :p They are sturdy enough to use again and again as well.

I agree with free about the vegetable peeler or even a grater to "finish" the bars and make them pretty. Save all of the trimmings and make some soap balls as well. :cool:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree. I didn't know what you meant about the vegetable peeler but now that I see your soap I understand. I'm a little slow sometimes, do you mean you used a plastic washbucket as a mold, the kind you wash your dishes in when camping? The rectangular kind? I've been using plastic molds and a cardboard box thing I made, but that looks more efficient.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had forgotten that I'd experimented with soapwort a couple of years ago. Waaay before I found out I was allergic to regular store-bought soaps. I'm going to order some soapwort online tomorrow. When it gets here, I'll be experimenting with the foam pumper for handsoap, body soap and shampoo. Should even work with laundry.

If it works, I'll be growing some!

Just don't see myself doing much more with soap. Did the glycerin thing and it's difficult to make in the cold house during the winter. Plus doesn't seem sustainable. And I read what you'all wrote about lye but for some reason, I just want to stay away from it. Think I'm gonna continue working with soapwort and essential oils.

Once I get my experiments going, should I start my own "soap made from soapwort" thread?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, it is called a dishpan at the dollar store. A bigger version could be a catbox (never used, of course!) as it also has a smooth bottom. Storage totes have ridges.

I think the soapwort thread will be interesting and yes, it should be a different thread as it is VERY different from what is discussed here, which is almost exclusively lye soap.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Ok, how did you get yours cut so well, Free? I took my soap out of the mold today (mold worked great!) and when I cut it I left it on the cookie sheet, which wasn't the flattest or most solid surface, so it was not the most successful cutting I could have had. :lol:

It's pretty crumbly. Is that normal? Should I let it come to room temp before cutting?

Also, I saw two specks that looked like possibly the lye hadn't dissolved. Do I need to toss it or re-melt it?

DSC04661-1.jpg

Is the texture supposed to be like this?
DSC04668-1.jpg

See the dot on the upper right side?
DSC04663.jpg

I did wash my hands with it and didn't feel any stinging or burning. I don't have pH strips. Do you think it's safe? I'll let it cure for a while though before I really use it. And I read something about touching your tongue to it. What's that about?

Latest posts