Soap Making 101

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my goats milk shampoo bar turned out okay...not all that in love with it. I did find (maybe it was on here) a melt and Pour shampoo bar recipe. I tried that using a goats milk base that turned out so fabulous I could put LUSH out of business. Okay probably not but you know what I mean. When you get something that is just so good, and your friends all go ga-ga over it, and your hair has never looked or smelled better, and you only have to wash it every three days if you feel like it. and the lather makes you feel just yummy! Anyway, M&P may be cheating but for this one I'll take it. My CP soaps are turning out good, I'm slowly starting to play with oils and fragrance. Thanks for everybody putting up with me.
Kristina

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is my first time making goats milk soap. I'm putting together all the ingredients and supplies that I'll need but I have a question with the recipe I've decided to try first.

I'm going with an easy recipe using lard and in the recipe they mention the optional use of borax.

What does borax do in a lard recipe?

bob

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am planing on trying my hand at soapmaking...but am wondering....I don't mean to sound gross...but is it ok...to use...old filtered fry oil.??

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm new at it myself but the old fashioned way was to save the fats from cooking, filter it out and use for soap making. So I would say yes as long as it is filtered really good.

Remember that fry oil has been heated at high temperatures for some time and looses some of it's viscosity. You can also use lard and Crisco.

I just made my first batch of goats milk soap using lard and it looks like it came out OK, I'll know better at the end of March when I try it out.

002.jpg

bob