Soap Making 101

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
iyecats said:
Hi, :frow
I'm new to the site. I am interested in making soap with my second grade class for xmas gifts. I have a holiday workshop each year with different stations for the kids to roam around to. Are there any soap recipes that don't have to use lye or don't have to sit for a month. I have seen little kits at Michaels Art Supplies, but that becomes expensive for 30 kidlets.
I know it is only Aug. but I need to prepare ahead of time to buy a little bit each month.
I need a real simple recipe for the students to do with maybe 1 or 2 parents helping at the center.
Thanks for having this site. :thumbsup
iyecats
I've been to both hobby lobby and Micheal and you can buy a huge chunk of glycerin soap that is clear and you can melt that in a small microwave. if you have the scented oils for the bath salts you can use them in the melting soap too.
There is another way to make soaps that we did as children too.. we saved all our soap slivers and we grated them and lightly heated them with just a touch of water and you let it cool just enuf to be able to handle and you let the kids form it into balls or you could press it into molds.. that way you could just buy any kinds of soaps.. have the kids grate it on a cheap little grater and then form it into shapes. that might be more cost effective.
And by the way!! Good for you! we need more teachers who take such an interest in helping our children be creative.. not many can afford it these days and many don't even bother... So Kudos to you!:thumbsup

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
LOL, SD :lol: I buy my lye at AAA chemicals- it is the best deal around I have found.
http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/sodium-hydroxide.html

iyecats: you might want to look into glycerine melt and pour soaps, or the grate and melt regular soap, but try a bit of both at home first to see just how complicated it would be to do with a class.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, that is the same that Bettacreek told me.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just placed a way to exspensive order with bramble berry.
I don't buy shoes, so I am thinking this is my shopping addiction.

:hide
Bought lie, glitters, mica, scents, clays and loofah. Schweeeet.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
Just placed a way to exspensive order with bramble berry.
I don't buy shoes, so I am thinking this is my shopping addiction.

:hide
Bought lie, glitters, mica, scents, clays and loofah. Schweeeet.
:lol: I did too! I check aaa chems but they were about the same for the lye and I wanted the $20 scale Bram Berry had. I also bought some Almond Butter. I've never made soap before (aside from my laundry soap) so I'm super excited! There's a goat farm around the corner from me and I'm going to see if she will let me buy just a couple gallons of milk for my soap. She usually boils the goats milk but should I tell her not to for my soap?

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have goats on the corner or my block. I have goats everywhere. But NO one milks. They sale them for meat to the Mexican population here. So I pay a forture for canned and powdered and it blows.

i am going to make beer soap and I'm thinking I might try some melt and pour, just for those instant gratification type projects. So I picked up ten pounds of clear and ten of white.

I also have a recipe for bubble bars, Gonna enjoy that project....

Now if the freaking state of texas would bloody rain and cool off. I dont want to be any where near my freaking stove or any part of the kitchen. ughh.

And I ordered 4 pounds of lye, cause Ive flown threw the last two.

oh and the castor oil and the shea butter are common in a lot of soap recipes, that I find to be nice. Grapeseed oil is sold in the grocery store here now, so pick up oils cheap at the store if you can. I get coconut and sunflower local. and I save gobs.

Sweet almond is also a favorite oil for many recipes.

I'm still learning what all the properties are for each oil in the soap.

Even salt and sugar increase lather and such. Its such an interesting science and art.

Can you tell Im enthusiastic? LOL.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I have goats on the corner or my block. I have goats everywhere. But NO one milks. They sale them for meat to the Mexican population here. So I pay a forture for canned and powdered and it blows.

i am going to make beer soap and I'm thinking I might try some melt and pour, just for those instant gratification type projects. So I picked up ten pounds of clear and ten of white.

I also have a recipe for bubble bars, Gonna enjoy that project....

Now if the freaking state of texas would bloody rain and cool off. I dont want to be any where near my freaking stove or any part of the kitchen. ughh.

And I ordered 4 pounds of lye, cause Ive flown threw the last two.

oh and the castor oil and the shea butter are common in a lot of soap recipes, that I find to be nice. Grapeseed oil is sold in the grocery store here now, so pick up oils cheap at the store if you can. I get coconut and sunflower local. and I save gobs.

Sweet almond is also a favorite oil for many recipes.

I'm still learning what all the properties are for each oil in the soap.

Even salt and sugar increase lather and such. Its such an interesting science and art.

Can you tell Im enthusiastic? LOL.
I have a friend who runs an African import shop. She trades me soap to sell for shea butter. I also make bars of my antiseptic Sulfur Soap for the owner of our local herb shop. He pays me with Vitamin E oil! Don't forget to barter if at all possible when gathering supplies. ;)

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well the goat owners are great about sharing the goat's fleas with all of us in the area. :barnie

LOL. Id love to find someone local. The one neighbor told me they did NOT milk. Thats what cows are for. :idunno