Soap Making 101

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
The store brand at our store of Crisco was a totally different list of ingredients. I thought I could use store brand too but was glad I double checked that. I suppose you could run the new ingredients through soapcalc.
I will check before I buy, but thanks for the heads-up! And I have read the whole thread but it has been awhile the soap calc you all use is in here somewhere right? anyone remember which pages.. or do I have to read the whole kebang over again? lol

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I have found that when working with goat's milk I have to do one of two things.

If I am using all goat's milk and no water I freeze it. Add lye to it little by little while it is frozen. Smushing and smashing the lye in until I have use all my lye.

OR if I am using water and milk I add the lye to my water and then the milk at trace.

The whole point is NOT to cook your milk. It will mess up the whole batch. The heat reaction from the lye will cook room temp milk in a flash and then you have "pudding". That is why I freeze my milk.

Just a tip I wanted to throw out there.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Soapcalc.net :)
Thanks-That'll help.. I have a calc. printed off somewhere in the house. But that is like a book! ;) :lol:

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
http://www.monkeyboyproducts.com/page/page/2414406.htm
here's the instructions
http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/lye-calculator-and-recipe-resizer
here's the calculator that quite a few people reccomended and said"just punch in your numbers and it does the rest" nothing mentioned about that little "units" area which is where I screwed up.
...well sorry spent to much time in tears feelingg a like a stupid idiot who couldn't possibly ever get this right because I can't even get basic crisco. I can't use goats milk, I can't use fragrance. and no matter how many how hours I spend reading myself blind I can't figure out what trace is. That the two mixtures neeeded to be the same temp....is goats milk is frozemn and oil is melted how do you get them to the same temp? Cook both? cool one? leave oil solid? can't do that because frozen goats milk and water and lye is still cold. won't help solid oil much.
Getting any idea of how frustrated I am ...?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was trying to treat you like an idiot. You need to learn when to let go of certain things, like the FO. Many will speed trace, so skip it for now until you know what trace even is... It's hard to work with an accelerating FO when you don't know what trace is in the first place. You have to experience trace first hand before you'll understand it. I think a moment of cool down time was all that was needed, then look at it from a fresh point of view. :)

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Let's try this again. Please keep cool, calm, collected heads. Learning something new is frustrating. I've been there before too.

Any more reports for drama, fighting or trolling and this thread may be closed.

Thank you.

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would like to report that I have unmolded the crisco goat milk soap it is solidified, cut into bars and set onto it's sides to cure.
my lotion was met with enthusiastic responses, by all the ladies at my shop