Soap Making 101

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
My plain old Crisco soap with goat milk and honey has been great for both my teenager's acne. I do add a little oatmeal, ground. I wish I made my own soap when my daughter was a teenager. I do also buy them a blackhead scrub from the store, but all our family skin issues have been lessened by the use of home made soap and home made goat milk soap.
I think that is often the case. Commercial soaps are harsh and full of additives. Just a simple pure soap, with no additives or fragrances, often works wonders!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't need as much moisturizer as I used to, either, so it has worked well for both overly oily skin and my overly dry skin. Whodathunkit?

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Whodathunkit? the ladies with beautiful skin back 150 years ago:)

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am happy to report my soaps are curing away. My lotions that I tried out on every guinea pig I could find had been adored. (hard to rub through the fur but...) I made some and something about the seabreeze scent sent one of my cats into a rolling frenzy when everything was put away. She rubbed all over the towel where I had poured the lotion into the container. Strange. Cute, but strange.

Any word on pricing of the soap molds?
Kristina

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a goofy question--I have many little bottles of Lorraine's candy oils.. I was thinking about adding some to one of my soaps... I have a double sized bottle of butter rum flavoring as my family was not that fond of the flavor. But we all love the smell. What do you think?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Not sure about the candy oils, Emerald. Maybe try a small batch and see how it comes out?

I had my first botched batch the other night. I had all of the oils mixed and ready to go and I measured out the lye and came up .35 oz short! :barnie So I went ahead and made it anyways. The soap was pretty soft when I cut it, and a soaper friend said it may never cure hard enough or lather correctly, but I'm going to see what happens. It has hardened a good bit since I cut it. It smells so good, I hate to waste a batch!

Tonight I have 8 lbs of soap to make. One will be unscented, and the other will be Santa's Workshop. Can't wait to see how that turns out! Then I've got another 8 lbs to make (lav vanilla and goat milk & honey) and then I'll be done with soaping for the craft show in Dec. I'm pushing it kinda close, but the soap will have about 5 1/2 weeks until the craft show. I'll have about 12 bars of about 10 or 12 different scents to choose from! I'm crossing my fingers it sells well!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can use the "NATURAL" oils. Do not use "FLAVOR" oils. Naturals include peppermint, spearmint, clove, orange, lemon, lime, anise and maybe some others.