Soaring Prices Threaten New Food Crisis

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I say last year's numbers were the stuff they used to fertilize this years crop!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, wheat prices have soared over 50 percent this year, but wheat is not the only agricultural commodity that is going up big time.

In a recent article entitled "An Inflationary Cocktail In The Making", Richard Benson listed many of the other agricultural commodities that have spiked in price in 2010....

*Coffee: 45%

*Barley: 32%

*Oranges: 35%

*Beef: 23%

*Pork: 68%

*Salmon: 30%

*Sugar: 24%

All of these increases at a time when the average American finds his/her income actually decreasing.

In the Fall, traditionally the cost of gasoline declines as less people are on the road. How's that working out for everyone this year? The price of crude oil is going up as the value of the dollar declines. Since farms run on oil, the cost to operate them goes up. Also, the declining dollar makes food purchased overseas more expensive. With the Fed promising a new round of money printing to boost inflation , it is very likely that the dollar will continue to decline for the foreseeable future.

If you plan to put away extra food for hard times, now would be the time to do it, because it looks like this could only be the beginning of the increases.

As a side note, someone needs to tell the Fat Cats at the Fed, that if they are worried about deflation, they should maybe do their own grocery shopping and see what it is like in the real world.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KOxxx, or anyone...why was the thread about Gov't assurance of food supply , pulled...?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It probably got political.

I noticed frozen peas were priced at 2.50 for a 12 oz bag this weekend! Good thing I don't use frozen veggies very often.

Rice is up - especially brown rice.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There was a lot of flooding in the midwest this year as well as heat waves so crop yeilds down. Then our prices are also affected by foreign markets. They sell to the highest bidder you know and with the catastrophe in Russia, Pakistan and other parts of Europe due to weather and crop failure they will be looking to purchase more from us....so prices go up.

Wifezilla, don't know if you have a Fred Meyer around you but they are having some very good prices on nuts this week, almonds included if I recall...

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Doing a grocery stock up today.

Sales are weird (as they have been since 2008 really) bottled water is on ridiculous sale so I am stocking up.

Canned veggies on sale .39 per can.
I am also stocking up on canned meats. I have hams that need to be refrigerated, but I want some of the kind that do not need it.

I have a good supply of flour but I think it is time to restock and get more yeast.

DH is getting laid off -- again. :rolleyes:

But, we're pretty sure this time he'll be back at work in January. So I am spending these last paychecks to fill the larder.

Any items you guys think I should focus on other than those??

Oh yeah, I am low on Sure-Jell!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
In a recent article entitled "An Inflationary Cocktail In The Making", Richard Benson listed many of the other agricultural commodities that have spiked in price in 2010....

*Coffee: 45%

*Barley: 32%

*Oranges: 35%

*Beef: 23%

*Pork: 68%

*Salmon: 30%

*Sugar: 24%

If you plan to put away extra food for hard times, now would be the time to do it, because it looks like this could only be the beginning of the increases.
I'm buying extra coffee. It's probably the only thing on this list that I can't live without. ;)

Latest posts