Solar Generator--anyone know of these?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
All I did was skim it pretty quickly but it looks like it is just a panel with a battery in a fancy case. The design of the web site screams that the product is not what is cracked up to be.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea Dacs I agree.

I never saw a solar genny before and wondered if they were good/better than gas etc etc. just searching for info. will hit the web and found out more info.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Booo, hissss.
It takes a while to fully charge a battery. And 1800 watts won't run all your favorite things for long.

I love the solar concept, but this just won't perform like they say. JMO

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YEA I thought the same thing. I figured it was a piece of junk in general LOL but will research a bit more.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My thought? If you're going to go solar, why not just have solar panels rather than have a generator? It wouldn't really be much good for camping, etc since you'd need to charge it B4 you could use it.

That being said, right now there are people that have generators that are having a problem finding gas to run them because of widespread power outages. So, in that type of scenario, they just might work, or at least be better than nothing.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Booo, hissss.
It takes a while to fully charge a battery. And 1800 watts won't run all your favorite things for long.

I love the solar concept, but this just won't perform like they say. JMO
Sounds to me like a backup system in which case the battery woud be kept charged either by grid or by solar at least in theory. This is not a SHTF answer but might serve for a short term.~gd

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Just a thought, but how difficult would it be to make your own? Harbor Freight sells the solar panels. They come in a set of 3-15 watt panels, so you'd need 2 sets for the 90 watts. Then, you'd need an inverter, also available at Harbor Freight and batteries. (Don't know how many or what kind. Would someone else know?) So, for a fraction of the cost, would it be doable?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I agree with gd, it may be a ruse but it will in fact provide some appreciable power when the lights go out.

Math: based on deep cycle batteries only

12 volts x 400 amps equal 4800 watts = $400 for a quality battery and would be much bigger than they show.

4800 watts divided by 2 = 2400 watts (depth of discharge kept at 50%)

2400 watts minus 15% inverter loss = 2000 watts of usable energy, the average citizen uses 30,000 watts per day, you could run your furnace and refrigerator for an hour at best.

The included 90 watt photo cell may produce 500 watts per day and on average take 10 days to recharge between full use, needing a high grade charge controller so as not to damage them (I doubt it) the batteries need to be stored warm and dry otherwise they just be an anchor.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
So, if something says it's 200 watts, w/that type of set up, how long would you be able to run it? Does it put out 200 watts every hour, every day or what? (That's w/the solar generator.)