Solar Generator--anyone know of these?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
When most speak of watts they really mean "watt hours" if a microwave consumes 1000 watts then in reality 15 minutes of use only used 250 watts. However the impulse power is a large factor when dealing with PV and batteries. The speed of the battery drain makes a big difference on your reserve and overall battery life.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GOOD to see ya around XPC
hope all is fine! :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I built a thing like this when I first moved to SDAK. It t is fine for a few lights (especially if you have LED lights.) but as xpc mentions, don't expect to get your entire home powered with it. Probably better for a camping trip. I still have mine and the only time I have used it was before I had my power system built and running.
As I said, it will do a few lights and maybe operate a small well pump intermittently, but for true emergency power of any substance, xpc's calculations are spot on. :old
trim sends
//BT //

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
GOOD to see ya around XPC
hope all is fine! :)
Thanks to a BBH email and a promise of marriage, two yurts and 12welve woolen boots I decided to lurk once again - forewarned is forearmed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: XPC
not sure at all what that means, but at least it got you back around.

S

sunsaver

Yeah, its just a small solar battery rig with an inverter in a fancy case. You'd be better of building your own rig with off-the shelf components, like i did. The more panels, sunsaver chargers, and batteries you have, the more stuff you can power for longer. I had a back-up gas generator for a while. it was smokey, oily, and loud. it was a pain in the arse to keep it filled with fresh gas. No im completely solar with maintenance free batteries and i love it. But you would need a really big solar rig to run major appliances. All i use solar power for is lighting, TV, and electronic entertainment.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Hey, sunsaver - I tried to explained it a few years ago but nobody would listen - they just wanted an answer that mocked ineptitude. Photovoltaic is not for the faint of heart or the money poor - you need 50 grand up front to make a difference.

S

sunsaver

I agree, xpc, that to go off grid without changing your power consumption would cost $50K or more. However, i chose to go off-grid solar because i anticipated a reduction in my income. I reduced my power consuption dramatically, paid cash for my little solar rig, and told the power company to go stick it. After 2 years of no electric bill, my system has paid for itself. And now that i am unemployed, i still have lights, tv, internet, and reliable power during thunderstorms.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I'm still waiting on my boots...
Hay! Hey? what! wheres my chocolaty pound cake and mittens.

For those who don't know Ms. BBH, her neighbor Mr. Ben always seems to have kitten pelts laying about - spicy or crunchy fried, the older ones come with peanuts.