solar night light

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We don't have electricity in our house, so at night time we used to burn a small oil lamp for a night lite. The oil price kept going up and up, not to mention that the lamp does produce a bit of smoke. So now we have a small solar yard light, the kind that people used to light the front walkway to their house, that somebody discarded. (People don't realize that these things take a rechargeable battery, and that once the battery finally gives out, all you have to do is put in a new one. duh) We take the light outside in the morning, then bring it back in for the evening. It stays lit all night, and no more grey smudgy soot on the wall around the lamp!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are so creative with "stuff"
great for you! no more smoke and that is a big plus!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrs.puff, that was a good idea. I am going to try that for my chickies next year.
NOW, if I could just get started on the solar heat window.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RM

a solar heat window????
please elaborate! :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great idea! I'll have to think about doing that!

In a similar vein, this is WAAAAAY too expensive, but someone I know has this little contraption for their kid's room, and I always wish I'd find one somewhere for NOT 40 bucks:

Moon Jar

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
scottyg
don't show me that moon jar! :(

I want one NOW, right now for Nicole...but at $40 I ain't doing it. SO COOL though. (hmm..now to find a cheaper version out there...google time!)

hmm..edited to say I am sure I could make something like this. mini solar lights and a mason jar...Hmm...LOL

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ooooh, if you figure out how to make one, share! I'm not so good with electric things, but maybe if it's not TOO complicated... That would be super cool.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
mrs.puff, this is a little OT, but I just wanted to say I am really impressed with your sig line. Going on that alone, when it all hits the fan, you will be one of the few who know how to survive.

Also want to say I am soooo glad to meet someone else who doesn't have running water! ;)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
RM

a solar heat window????
please elaborate! :)
Well I think it was on here. Someone put it on here. I showed it to hubby and he brought home a window for me to make it out of. GEEZLOUISE, the window, the tanning, this project....whew.

anyway
do a search here for *solar heat from pop cans.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrs.puff, I applaud you. I dont know if I could do it. I also envy you......the peace, the quiet, the gratification.....

thank you QA for drawing attention to that.