solar night light

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Moon Jars are cool and they are easy to make.

Get you one of those jars with the glass, latch type lids. Find you one of those solar walkway lights at a yard sale. Take it apart and glue the solar cell to the lid (I mounted mine under the lid with some epoxy).

Then replace the LED with one of a color that you would like. Frost the jar by lightly sand blasting, sanding, or by chemical etching (can usually be found at craft stores).

Place it in the window and enjoy.

If you have one of the solar lights with the bulbs, instead of an LED, you can sometimes find color bulbs. Another option is to coat the inside of the jar with the paint on material used for making stained glass.

I can provide a more detailed description if needed.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are really cool little light jars. I checked their one on e bay for 15 bucks. Edited: Shipping will get you though!!!

I like the idea of recycling the yard lights. Maybe fashion them into some kind of hanging lantern.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RM

oh you mean to make a solar panel? OK--I know there are 2 of those "how to make" on the board. I just thought you were, like, hooking something up to your window to produce heat or something...Duh, I don't know...it struck me as different...I wanted to know..LOL

never mind..HA HA

yea too many projects in the fire for me also.

I have to deal with that..HA HA

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I love this! My DH said if I found some solar lights at garage sale or if someone gives me some that he would make them for me.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Moon Jars are cool and they are easy to make.

Get you one of those jars with the glass, latch type lids. Find you one of those solar walkway lights at a yard sale. Take it apart and glue the solar cell to the lid (I mounted mine under the lid with some epoxy).

Then replace the LED with one of a color that you would like. Frost the jar by lightly sand blasting, sanding, or by chemical etching (can usually be found at craft stores).

Place it in the window and enjoy.

If you have one of the solar lights with the bulbs, instead of an LED, you can sometimes find color bulbs. Another option is to coat the inside of the jar with the paint on material used for making stained glass.

I can provide a more detailed description if needed.
How cool! I will give dh these instructions & maybe for ds#2's b'day he can make him one. Thanks Koxxx

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment roosmom and QA. It's a lot of hard work to get ready for winter and all. We still end up buying a lot of our groceries, but I try not to over do it. You all can check out a video about our house at www.joeplum.com. Joe is my SO.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mrs. Puff--alot of us have dialup--so videos ar not doable for us. when you have time, do you think you could give us a briefing on how you live? I think we are all curious. Thanks~!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I gave the lowdown on a thread called "how we charge batteries" under the "other power generation" section. I don't have a computer at all at home. I'm at school.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am curious, where do you get your water? Do you have it even gravity fed into the cabin? That's what we have been thinking about doing, gravity feeding it to the house from the fresh water spring.

We don't have a well on the place yet. Yesterday I ran out of water, and everything outside was frozen, so I was melting snow.