Solar ovens...easy peasy!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would think the dutch oven would work, but have no experience with this. I did see black enamelled pots at Wal-mart the other day that would work just fine.

warmfuzzies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just found this post! I already was planning to make one and I had just picked up the supplies today. I don't know when I will be able to do it, but I will let you all know!

warmfuzzies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, it's done! I dont have any pictures, but it looks great and really was not very hard. I will maybe try it out tomorrow. i am thinking some boiled eggs would be an easy test.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I once built the box inside a box version. Then placed my pan inside and topped with a piece of glass. The box was to deep and I never quite completed the collector panel. It did get hot though. I think I will need to try again. Maybe something simpler in design. g :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:
Ok, it's done! I dont have any pictures, but it looks great and really was not very hard. I will maybe try it out tomorrow. i am thinking some boiled eggs would be an easy test.
Well?

warmfuzzies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Nope, cloudy thismorning too. Tomorrow is supposed to be 80, so Maybe then...

I did the box-in-a-box kind too, but I made the extra drip-pan-floor for the bottom, you can sit it on something to make the box shallower.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
oh this is too cool! I know that i could get one of these going in the summer here for sure!! It is always HOT here. I have a black enameled roaster, and I will keep my eye out for a solar shade!

ETA: I have the grill and the velcro also!! :D

warmfuzzies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I put it out one afternoon, and I could only get it to 200 deg. Which would work, but I would like to get it hotter. I am going to fiddle with it more. I think it needs a bigger reflective sheet on top.