Solar ovens...easy peasy!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was searching for easy ways and ideas for solar ovens..when I came across this site. There are several different styles of easy home made ovens. Thought you all might be interested in this site.

http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

nmsunrise

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow! That is just too cool and something I'm definitely going to try out. Living in New Mexico I shouldn't have a problem. Thanks

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We should all try to make one and cook something in it then post it on our pages. Kind of like the BYA home made incubator challenge. Mods? How about a contest??

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
justusnak, what a useful link; I want to try that solar chimney dehydrator. I know something is bound to work for my climate.

Wifezilla, It would be great to have the results of all that experimentation posted here, instead of doing random searches for it on the net. I'm in.
My skies are fairly cloudy so I wouldn't want to have to limit myself to trying only one style.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have wanted to make one for years. Mine would be a challenge because I am cheap and would want to do as much as possible without buying extra stuff :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooooo, this is already in my plans for one of this year's new skills! I found a small black enamelled roaster at a discount store, and some oven bags at another discount store. If warm weather ever arrives in New England, I'll be making a roasted chicken in my back yard! I'll just have to remember not to let the dog out unattended until it is done!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Love those things... I made oodles of them during my days in Boy Scouts.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That is a great idea. I also love making stuff out things I have laying about. We'll just have to try one of those out, real soon. Not only is it self sufficient, it also is ecological - no carbon imprint.....

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love the one made from a silver car windshield shade- I have two of those sitting around from last year. I could sacrifice one to try this. If summer ever actually arrives and brings sun around here. Then I need to find a black pot. (actually, would my cast iron dutch oven work? Anyone know?)