Solar Power In SC!

McNugget

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new to the board . I found the site from my membership on http://www.backyardchickens.com/.

I had my 4KW solar installed in Dec 09 and am "netmeetring" with Duke Power for now. I've applied to PaCE (http://www.palmettocleanenergy.org/) and am waiting on my application to be accepted. I undestand the program may be closed for now.

I had my new barn built closer to the house than planned because my contractor suggested putting the solar panels on the roof of the barn instead of gound mount. That way I didn't have to pay for the gound mount supports. Combining the barn and the solar system saved me over the cost of building them seperately!

So for the cost of a luxury car, or a large SUV (which depreciates and does not qualify for any tax credits, or increase your property value or decrease your electric bill!) I had the barn built with solar panels on the roof. So far my electric bills are cut buy 40% and as the days get longer, the reduction in the power bill should increase. I anticipate that the average for the year will be +50%. Can a luxury car do that?

Here are pictures of the front
1771_kodak_026.jpg

and back of the barn
1771_kodak_022.jpg

also, here's my solar/wind power clothes dryer ;)
1771_kodak_039.jpg

A new name for a very OLD idea eh?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey!!! Why is my cat in your picture?!?!?! :D

Nice set up. We have over 80 turbines around my place, and solar is starting to pick up too. A 40% reduction in hydro bills is nice!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice job. How many years do you think it will take for it to pay for itself?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We're getting our 3.9 kw system installed in about 2 weeks!

Great job putting them on your barn. You probably could get the angle, position, and avoid any shad perfectly that way. Most people (like me) have a lot of those things to deal with that makes the system less than 100% efficient.

:thumbsup

McNugget

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Nice job. How many years do you think it will take for it to pay for itself?
Pay back is targeted to be 5 to 7 years with tax credits and lower power bills. The sooner I can get into the PaCE program the faster the pay back.

Most car loans are 5 to 7 years for Pay Off! LOL! not Pay Back! Solar power is really more affordable that you think! I guess it's a choice. Pepole like to be seen in a fancy car.... Oh well. I'm happy passing all those fancy cars at the gas pump in my Honda Civic Hybrid. :D