Sold my house and it cost me $$$

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a new day. I am still a little upset. I have yet to pay the $4,500 to the realtor and bank but I have put that much into it in the past 2 years. We did get a good price on our house in TN so I am trying to look at that perspective. It is hard to be cheery when that money could be so helpful at the place we live now. All in all we still have our good credit score and we lost the stone so I will try to adjust my attitude. Attitude is everything.

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN, yes it has 11 acres and water rights. It is in Victor, between 2 mountain ranges.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up for too long. Thousands and thousands of people have had the same deal handed to them through the years. We lost over $40K on a bad business deal, kept getting $$ from the equity of our house to stay alive..by the time it was over, we cleared a whopping $7000. Ouch. I was like you, that money that we 'should' have had would have gone a long way, but...

The fact that he has a job is a big plus! So many people don't... And you'll have a new life, new challenges, new victories there at your new place.

I'm happier now than I was then. Still tap dancing nervously over the thought of taxes coming due, but in the long run - I have everything I need: shelter, heat, lots of food, people who care about me and gardening season is just around the corner! I'm blessed with lots of hard work.

Hang in there!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It happens to alot of us. When we bought our house up north, real estate was high, and we paid a preemium price for our house. Several years later, Abitibi ( the main employer of the town) closed one of its mills in the three mill plant. The mill that closed employed about 60% of the employees, and about 1/2 of the town. Two years later, hubby got the job down here in Windsor. REal estate was in th toilet. We rented our house out for a coupla years to two different families. What a nightmare! We finally sold it, but had to put in a new kitchen and bthroom, and a new furnace, just to make it competitive in the town. We sold it for alot less than what we paid for it.

But we were relieved to get that burden off our shoulders. At one point, we let the house sit empty, and we had to carry two mortgages.

So, yeah, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. You just need to move on with your life. I couldnt' be happier now. Ok, that's not the whole truth. I would be happier with about 10-20more acres. :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sorry baby

the best advice i got was from my older (rich) auntie who told me that sometimes you just have to take the loss and move on. it helped me to think of it that way - especially from someone who was very wise financially.

and if it makes you feel better - i have a friend who had to write a check for $60,000 to get out of her house. you read that right SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

so hey - at least thats not you!
:)

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, it does suck but don't let it cost more more than the cash by carrying around the stress and the stomach ache of it all. You got out, you're resourceful, you have a house to live in and it's time to start the next chapter!
Big love to you, I hate that feeling!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your replies and sympathy. I feel better just knowing people understand. I do love my place here in TN and looking forward to a grand garden season. It is a great relief to go to bed and not worry about carrying bills for both places, and pipes bursting when the furnace goes out. yeah, I think I'll get over it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a quote on my desk that I looked at and repeated often during our transition time :

When you let go of what you need to leave behind, you can look forward to what lies ahead.

I can't remember where I got it, but it's sure true. We're all pulling for you.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I like that. It's good for us all to remember.