Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Wonder if you could add a little clay in which to suspend your carbonaceous and nitrogenous offerings to the soil?
Yeah, clay is the finest mineral-soil particle. Silt is the next finest. Sand is the coarse particle. And clay is what our soil ain't got!

I actually did add clay (dried, powder clay) to a couple beds in our smaller "side garden" - a salad garden near our house. It was easy to do, and I think it was good to do. But for our large garden (30x100 feet) it would be an expensive thing to do. Because damp, natural clay straight from the ground is very hard to introduce into silty/sandy soil. It balls up in the soil and doesn't till in and mix very easily at al. In 40 or 50 pound sacks, dry powder clay is expensive. Just think about adding it... if you want to till in, say, 40 sacks!:sick

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I can snd ya some clay!!!!!!! :lol: Trade by the truckload...if only you weren't SO far away *sigh* ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mother has just the opposite...a little too much clay and not nearly enough sand. Easier to amend than your problem, but still something she is not willing to do. Still, she grows everything fairly well in this soil because she has learned to work in it and not against it, as I'm sure you have also.

You certainly are still very green up there!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So...what grows best in your garden, Joel?
A lot of things do well or reasonably well. Garlic and the onion family. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries (keep 'em watered). Potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers (bell and hot)... as long as blights aren't heavy on the winds. Artichokes, asparagus, lettuces, basil (for pesto). Herbs in general. Pears and apples.

I'd have said hybrid corn, but weather has been changing and so I'm experimenting to solve the corn-raising problem. I have an open-pollinated variety I like, though the ears are small. But dependable.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
You certainly are still very green up there!
Nah... Those are all spring/summer/fall pics. Cheers me up to see them.

We've had snow-covered ground up here for three weeks. 10 degress F last night, too. We go cross-country skiing in winter, every few days if the snow conditions are good. But conditions haven't yet been good this winter.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello Joel...My goodness it looks like you have yourself a definate slice of heaven...
looka lovely...
I am in bc too...
though many miles..from you...
in Hope...
Your willow tree looks lovely
I hope...you are using willow bark tea when starting your plants as a boost...
looks like your life is wonderfully blessed

Latest posts