Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
It's steep around here. We're on the lower slope of a ridge, conifer-covered, and the top of which is around 6000 ft elevation. We're about a quarter mile from actual bottom land, on our neighbors' places eastward... downhill from us.
Given the impressive work you've done for your property and your garden, have you tried terracing so not to lose it to erosion?

Your house, barn, shed, garden, and pond are all beautiful.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Beautiful place Joel!! I would love to be able to look out a window and see green! I get brown...

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
Joel_BC said:
It's steep around here. We're on the lower slope of a ridge, conifer-covered, and the top of which is around 6000 ft elevation. We're about a quarter mile from actual bottom land, on our neighbors' places eastward... downhill from us.
Given the impressive work you've done for your property and your garden, have you tried terracing so not to lose it to erosion?

Your house, barn, shed, garden, and pond are all beautiful.
Thanks for the compliment.

Terracing isn't necessary here, because our horticultural activity (food growing and otherwise) is all contained within a sand bench of about two acres (out of the nine we own). We have about two acres, also, of woodlot. The sand bench is fairly level, as terrain around here goes. Actually, the pond isn't on the sand bench, and there are some decorative plantings around its edge.

I was once part of a day-long work party with some friends in this valley where we did terrace a garden area on the host family's place. It made sense to do it, there.

Have you terraced any of your property?

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel, have not terraced my puny little double lot here - the house is on the lower part of it and stops the flow. We're looking for a handful of acres on the flatland, where only a couple feet of elevation is the difference between flood plain and "high and dry" designation. It sounds almost like you planned the sand "bench" part on yours ... I am now curious if you built from bare ground, or if you purchased with existing structures?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
It sounds almost like you planned the sand "bench" part on yours ... I am now curious if you built from bare ground, or if you purchased with existing structures?
The house structure was here - we altered and improved it. I reclaimed a large shed that was rotting into the ground. Also reclaimed another small garden shed. I built a free-standing carport, and yet another garden shed. Most recently, we put up a small greenhouse from a kit. The spot (the sand bench) had been selected by a homesteading family who cleared six acres here around 1950.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beautiful place, looks a lot like what we're aiming for in about 10 years after the kids are out of school :)

My Dad grew up in the West Kootenays (Renata--now under the Arrow Lakes as of the damming in the 60s, and then Nakusp), and hubs spent his teen years exploring the old mining ghost towns like Sandon and Phoenix, then worked in Trail for a while back in the 80s--I assume from your description you're in the East Kootenays? I love the whole area--beautiful country.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
Beautiful place, looks a lot like what we're aiming for in about 10 years after the kids are out of school :)

My Dad grew up in the West Kootenays (Renata--now under the Arrow Lakes as of the damming in the 60s, and then Nakusp), and hubs spent his teen years exploring the old mining ghost towns like Sandon and Phoenix, then worked in Trail for a while back in the 80s--I assume from your description you're in the East Kootenays? I love the whole area--beautiful country.
Yes, I know the locations you speak of. Actually, I'm not in the Wast Kootenay - closer to Nakusp. Yes, some beautifual country around here.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The snow just left the ground here in the last three days or so. This is our larger veggie garden, with a fall-rye cover crop (not yet tilled in)... the wheat-colored swath is garlic mulched with straw.
4407_big_garden_12a.jpg

We have a smaller salad garden too, plus we grow some basil, peppers, and other things in sunny spots around our house.

PeuAPeu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am new to the site but I love posts with pictures. Thanks for sharing. :)