Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very clean looking tomatoes
Thanks. Yeah, those were clean specimens. Sometimes we have a fair number where the skins have split, but it's rare that we get scabs from bugs biting them. We grow jalapeno peppers and cucumbers in the greenhouse too. Usually the cuke leaves wind up mottled with yellow areas, but the plants continue to grow and produce lots of healthy, clean cukes.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
side garden 2014.jpg

Just thought I'd upload a more recent garden image. This is our little "kitchen" side garden, taken a few days ago. Very lush - in fact, weedy when the shot was taken. It's the first year we've grown the garlic and onions in this patch, rather than in our big garden. Also has peas, lettuce, chard, kale, zucchini, dill and a bunch of flowers. Seems the onion crop, in particular, will be very good.

We moved the location of the broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and carrots into our big garden - and the broc and cauli are doing better than we can ever remember on our place. Also our potato crop out there seems to be very good this year.

Anybody interested in more overview shots of our place can find them mostly on page 1 of this thread, but a few scattered in the pages between there and here.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I can't even imagine dealing with bears! No bears in this part of Texas, thank goodness!

As for raccoons - I guess my LGD's keep them away. Haven't seen one on the property in quite some time.

Hope you get your garden in. Lucky that we have a long growing season. I'm harvesting zucchini, yellow squash and lots of radishes. Should start getting green beans in another week and have lots of green tomatoes presently.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those look so good! I bet they actually have taste, unlike those big red imitation strawberry-like things at the store.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And what a beautiful blue that sky is too! We've had cooler weather and rain for 2 days now. Hot and dry sounds rather appealing at the moment lol Can I send some of this wet stuff your way?
Oh yeah!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It all looks great - and ya just can't beat the look of those mountains in the background. Breathtakingly beautiful to a flat-lander like me!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You really have a beautiful place there! Must be gorgeous in the winter with snow covered mountains! (I know, no snow talk in July!)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our place is nestled down in the middle of forest. Half of our 8 acres is forest. So we love pictures of non-forest places! You are right, contrast is nice, but we still love our trees and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.