someone starting out

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So firstly I would like to say Hiya , how ya'll doing? I'm new so of course I have a million questions. I feel kinda like I've exhausted the selection of books on this subject a my library, and still nowere near haveing a place of my own that is suitable for such an endevor ( I currenty live in a small apartment in the city). I grew up in the country, with a veggie garden, mom who taught me herb lore, and dad who taught me car repair, hard work, and relying upon ones own skills.
My husband and I both want to get a home we can be self sufficent from but with the economy as it is, it just seems like a dream most days.
So like most money is mostly our problem. So I guess my question is what kinda hobbies could I learn while still in the city to keep me sane till I can get outta here. I know how to quilt, cook, canning, but I need something new.thanks

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:welcome

container gardening, fermenting, dehydrating, sprouting, I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
howdy!

and see if your city has a pea patch that will allow you to rent garden space. check freecycle for free produce for you to can, ask if you can trade labor for food, see if you can apprentice with a farmer... tons of things to do!
:)

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check out your local community college. Many offer non-credit continuing education courses. Such things as basic home wiring, plumbing, ect. Even expand on what you already know, take a course in asia-wok cooking or join a cooking club. Great way to meet and make new friends too.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Welcome aboard the board!! :frow

Learn how to slow smoke a pork butt to make ya some pulled pork. You'll have ALL the neighbors knockin' on your door!

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and good ideas guys!

austradork

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat! My boyfriend and I both have jobs in downtown Seattle, but he'll be going to grad school out in the county Fall 2011. I am sooo anxious to get out of the city. So this weekend I decided that, for my own sanity, I'm going to start LIVING as if I were in the county, even if my physical self is still in the city. And today, I went out and bought canning equipment. I already feel a little calmer.

Have you tried keeping chickens? We have 4 and they are SO MUCH FUN!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I started in an apartment by growing my own flavoring herbs and some things in containers. You should see my flavoring garden now! Seriously, every skill you aquire now will serve you well later.

DH and I have made our own sausage for YEARS by growing and drying herbs (some, not all, while in the apt) and mixing it with purchased ground pork. Later we graduated to grinding purchased pork. Finally, this year, we are growing our own pigs and I am in the process of drying lots and lots of sage, oregano, parlsley, basil, hot peppers, etc to flavor our pork sausage. Even drying herbs seemed like a big project when I first started. Now it is nothing to harvest 12-18 plants a few times a season and process it. I am so happy we practiced parts of the process a long time ago.

What are your ultimate goals when you finally get your place? Meat animals, gardens, dairy, poultry, orchards, etc? Start learning the necessary skills now. Any part of the process you can experience, even with purchased ingredients, will serve you well later.

And you never know what you will find when you put the word out. I seriously wanted to process some raw wool this coming winter. I am not ready for sheep or fiber animals, but put the word out. Nothing happened for a long time, it seemed. Now I have, not one, but seven fleeces waiting for the ice and snow to keep me inside to process them!

So what are your goals? We can build suggestions off those goals.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
You can start composting or vermicomposting while in an apartment too. I saw one lady who had a small flock of chickens in her living room - though i'm not sure i'd recommend that one. ;)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha Punkin!

My mom actually had a flock of chickens on her patio in her apartment! I mean, this was the east side in the 80's lol. But still, could be in your future ;)