Somthing living in my straw

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I layered about 12 inches of straw on top of my potato spuds....now I notice that there are 2-3 holes down in the straw....would that be mice or a snake? The holes are about an inch in diameter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup.....and yup......I would never plant in straw for that reason. Good ol' dirt for me. Don't stick your hand in that straw!! :ep

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yup.....and yup......I would never plant in straw for that reason. Good ol' dirt for me. Don't stick your hand in that straw!! :ep
Oh come on now....BE BRAVE! Stick your paw in there and let us know what you find! :lol:

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It could be either. If it were here I would say a mouse over a snake but, it depends on where you live to which it would be more apt to be.

Maybe use a fork and shake it up some and see what you find.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a shudder just thinking about what could be lurking in there. Yipes!! I'm glad it's you and not me. If it were at my house, I'd guess snake over mouse because I have 3 mousers and they like their job.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
freemotion said:
Oh come on now....BE BRAVE! Stick your paw in there and let us know what you find! :lol:
Just make sure you wear thick leather gloves. ;)

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh be very very careful. Where you live odds are it could be snake they look for a cool place to be sleeping. Use a very long rake and or hoe to be checking it out with. Make sure you have on leather boots and or chaps too with those gloves. And I hope it is a mouse house. :fl And the cats get to hunt :weee

Myself I like snakes, but they don't like being disturbed, and so I am very mind full of how I move around them and if they are venmous or not. So just error on the side of caution. And be safe... :fl

:frow Karan :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh Great!

We do have rattlesnakes and mice AND it is right next to my chicken run.

Why do I read everywhere else that people mulch with a nice thick layer of straw and now after I have done it you all tell me it is a bad idea?!
Crud.
:barnie

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad idea. I most likely would leave it be. Potatoes are in the nightshade family so I'm guessing that any mouse that eats its leaves will eventually take care of itself. I would maybe put a large "sunning" rock next to it, go out in the early morning and see if you've got yourself a snake. Depending on the type of snake, you could have a "farm hand".

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sunning rock huh? What time of day would I most likely find my friend sunning himself?
Sorry, I am a suburbia baby...I am near more open space than ever and I don't have much experience with snakes!