Sore Throat/Cough Relief

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I had a severe sore throat Friday. Woke up Saturday morning feeling like someone had poured liquid fire down my throat. So I got on the internet and searched for home made remedies. Lots of info but decided to try a honey and onion mixiture. It said to let sit overnight but after 3 hours I decided to try it since I was in major pain. 4 doses later my sore throat was gone.

Half an onion sliced. Pour raw honey over the onions. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit. (preferably overnight but hey, if your throat hurts just give it a few hours but don't strain the onions out until its been at least 6 hours). 1 teasoonful every few hours is what I did. You don't really taste the onion until later. Its kindof a funny after taste but not near as bad as some meds I have had prescriptions for. After the first teaspoonful I decided to play with it a little. Added 1 drop of lemon juice to the spoon. 3rd dose I added 2 drops of lemon juice to the spoon. That was the one. No onion after taste. I was amazed at how quick it worked.

My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter even liked it and it worked like a charm on her cough. So last night when I woke up coughing, I got up and took a spoonful. Slept like a baby the rest of the night.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
not sure about the garlic - but considering the healing properties of garlic I don't see why not. I wonder if lemon juice would take that after taste away?
I am still using the honey and onion at least once a day since I still have major sinus drainage and get a little scratchy during the day from talking at work but so far no more pain.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I press a couple garlic cloves, cover with hot water. Add lemon and honey. Strain out the chunks. Chug it fast before I taste it.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I usually cut a garlic clove into small enough chunks to swallow raw and it usually does the trick.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm thinking the pertinent ingredient from onions is the sulfur and was thinking that garlic contains more...and of course, in my life I've always thought, "If a little is good, more must be better!" :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have to make more. Seems like this is running through the whole family. The best part about this concoction is it is kid friendly. (Not for children under 1 year of age of course).

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Wonder how long it keeps and how to keep it? Would it work better fresh each day?