Sore Throat/Cough Relief

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Honey will last forever. Onion on the other hand can cause food poisoning. So, after I strained mine I put it in a small jelly jar and refridgerated it. I am thinking in the fridge it will last a long time. But I would not make more than I thought I could use in a week. Honestly, I think a small jelly jar for 1 to 2 people for a week is enough. Its easy enough to make, only takes 6 to 7 hours to sit out and steep. So if you see you are running low and someone else gets sick, just make more.

Beekissed, where are you? You probably have a better answer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now, that is an interesting thing to ponder....and I'm not sure but I will expound on what I DO know. I do know that research shows that raw honey, when placed on an infected wound bed, will actually disinfect the wound. It is a natural antimicrobial which means it will kill any fungus, bacteria and virus that is currently growing or will try to grow.

Onions have sulfur, which is also a known antibiotic but I'm sure they also contain fibers/matter that can spoil...we've all smelled THAT smell. BUT...immersed fully in a substance that KILLS germs, will the germs still grow and decompose the onion?

How about one of you do an experiment and just see how long it seems to stay fresh....no rotten odors, bad colors, etc. If you are not willing to do so, I will and will taste it on occasion as a lab rat for the group! :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well, mine has been in the fridge since 8/22 and is still fine. I will save whats left and test it to see how long it last. I will make a new batch tomorrow and leave it out of the fridge to see what happens to it.

Edited to add: Thanks Bee

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
UPDATE - Original 8/22 batch is still good. Well, I am still alive after my dose this morning to check it out. So I know it last 20 days in the fridge. It seems to be a bit stronger. But it still works. I hate this time of year. My hay fever and sinus drainage plays havoc with my throat.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Update - I know it last for over 2 months in the fridge. Gets a little thick and crystalized. But I just placed the jar into a bowl of warm water and it thinned right up. Apparently it still maintains its healing properties. My DD woke up with a sore throat, cough and headache. I sliced up a fresh onion and poured honey over it to start its 8 hour steeping process. While digging in the fridge for something else I found my old jar of already made remedy. I looked at it, tasted it, warmed it up a little, grabbed the lemon juice and demanded my 31 year old DD start taking it immediately. 8 hours later after finishing off the jar (she said she took a teaspoon every hour or two) her sore throat was gone and she felt fine. I strained up the new batch about 11 hours after it started. Its a good thing I had it handy beause the next moring I woke up with a sore throat and so did my 3 year old granddaughter. By night time we were both fine. No sore throat. She did have a cough but we just gave her a dose before she went to bed and she slept all night with no coughing. Next day - was like she had never felt bad.

This is the 5th test this remedy has had in my household. It is now my immediate go to remedy for the first sign of sore throat or upper respitory problems. We are prone to bronchitis in this household. Every cold with a cough involved, turns into bronchitis. Especially my daughter. She seems to be more prone to it than I am. We both usually require at least 2 visits to the Dr during the colder months for conventional treatments. So far this remedy has stopped all beginning stages in its tracks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
My hay fever and sinus drainage plays havoc with my throat.
this is me. there are times I can barely talk at all. the drainage makes me cough some and irritates my throat and then it is just a friggin' nightmare.

If I could cut off my head I would be perfectly healthy. Right now my voice is shot, snots in the face, clogged up, ears kinda clogged up, eyes water alot, that throat irritation and cough and sleeping is miserable.

It stays forever and is just annoying as heck.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow! I know what I'll be doing next time!!
I"ll have to dig up the recipe for a natural elixir that I found. That might be a good backup for night time (It has alcohol in it!), and use this during the day.
I love natural remedies!!
~Ginny
(Now how to save this so I can find it when I need it.....)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC you really should try this - I am amazed everytime it works.

Ginny - Be sure to post your remedy when you find it. I am always on the lookout for something that eliminates a trip to the Dr.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Found it!
http://amoderatelife.com/2011/01/wa...gn=Feed:+amoderatelife/LcBz+(A+Moderate+Life)

Hope that crazy link works. I like this blog a lot, she often posts interesting things.
Its got some interesting ingredients, I still haven't collected them all yet, unfortunately. I really do want to make it up. It takes longer to make (weeks if I remember correctly) but it looks like it sure would be good to take before you go to bed to knock you out as well as relieve symptoms and kill whatever it is. It is always better for the body to heal as you sleep!
If someone mixes this up, please do let me know how it goes! (If anyone else has a source for some of these ingredients, I would appreciate that too! Picked up rose hips last year, but I think I am missing some of the others, looking for good quality natural sources)