Sorry, last question about WB canning...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I finished my pints of applesauce earlier today. The jars were cooled down somewhat so I took off the rings. I noticed some (just a bit) of the applesauce had leaked during the canning process.

Are they safe to store in the cupboard or should I refrigerate them?

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Did the jars 'seal'?

If so they should be fine. After the jars cools, wipe them off and store in the cupboard

I always wait 24 hours before taking my rings off ... not for sure why :idunno but I'm sure someone along the line said to / or something I've read.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yes they pinged nicely. Thank you!

I know not to move them for about 24 hours, but sometimes I get a little ocd with my rings. lol I thought to myself, "Hey I'm glad I took these off and found the leaky ones in time to put them in the fridge..."

(Blackbird, you were right!)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hm, yes, but remember that jam I ate? Again.. Only take my word if you dare. :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What they said - in future don't disturb the rings for 24 hrs. Even if the jars sealed at first, removing the ring can weaken that seal. Nothing wrong with using the ones you just did, just be careful with them and maybe don't try to save them for 14 yrs to send to BB ;)

It is not at all unusual to have some sticky stuff ooze out during processing and lodge in the threads of the jar. This is one of the major reasons WHY you remove the rings after 24 hrs -- so that sticky stuff doesn't sit there gettin' "funny" in storage!. Just wipe it off with a damp cloth and there ya go.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Good points Pat. I have a jar of home canned apricots in my cupboard right now. There was a little leakage when it was originally canned and the ring was left on - now I can't even get the sucker opened! Might have to let it soak a while.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Good points Pat.
What, the one about "don't send Blackbird a 14 yr old jar of applesauce, she'll eat it"? LOL

Pat (who actually would not hesitate [much] to eat 14-yr-old jam either, although anything else of that vintage, nuh-uh)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, I imagine that I would still be good friends with Sally in 14 years.. so I say why not? Lol.

Also, I must add, I'm a he not a she.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yes they pinged nicely. Thank you!

I know not to move them for about 24 hours, but sometimes I get a little ocd with my rings. lol I thought to myself, "Hey I'm glad I took these off and found the leaky ones in time to put them in the fridge..."

(Blackbird, you were right!)
I am sure you already know this but just in case we have a newcomer reading.... If the tops ping AFTER they are cool it means that they did NOT seal right. A proper vacumn in the jars should deliver a sound more like a thud than a ping. ~gd