Soup Recipes--Your Fav!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Winter is coming. Brrr....this is soup time.

Everyone contribute their all time favorite soup and how you make it. This way we can have a running thread about great soup receipes!

Whenever you get a chance, add a soup recipe and we should have a wonderful list to make and discover new tastes this winter!

(And if ANYONE has a wonderful cream of mushroom soup recipe I would love to know! :)---thanks! )

List away!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Don't laugh - You did say "Favorite". Actually I have a couple that I will get down and type in later but for right now my all time favorite comfort soup is Campbells Tomato with 1/4 can water and about 1/2 can milk slowly stired in and browned/drained hamburger meat added. I say about 1/2 can because when the soup gets to the exact color I want I stop adding milk. I know - I am strange. But this is my all time "I am sick, depressed, don't feel good, its cold outside" favorite soup.

Edited to add: This is the only soup I crumble crackers in.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my favorites is curried squash soup. I don't have a recipe for it exactly, but here's how I do it:

Cut a butternut squash in half lengthwise, scoop the seeds, and roast cut side down in a baking pan until the skin starts to brown and bubble.
Scoop out the squash meat and run through a food mill or blender.
Combine "some" chicken stock (really not sure how much just till it's a consistency you like) and squash glop in a sauce pan and heat until bubbling. Add salt, curry powder to taste. Pour in "some"milk(or half and half if you're feeling extravagant.) Heat until very warm but not quite boiling.

Great with some crusty bread.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Take all the leftovers out of the freezer and throw them all into a big pot. Heat it up and add seasonings to taste, it usually doesn't need any.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Take all the leftovers out of the freezer and throw them all into a big pot. Heat it up and add seasonings to taste, it usually doesn't need any.
Hey! You stole my recipe ;) We call it "Stuff I Found In The Fridge Soup" I just made it three night's ago, it had leftover roasted veggies and rice, a handfull of cooked shell beans, assorted sausage bits and two small potato's and maybe a couple other thing's I'm forgetting.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It's surprising how such a mix of "stuff" can taste so good.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
It's surprising how such a mix of "stuff" can taste so good.
Yup it's always better than the alternative.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
great minds must think alike, i do the same thing with thw addition of some hamburger meat. I always make a huge pot so i can freeze some for later. I'm sure most of you know but for those that don't chili powder is the best seasoning you can add to "junk soup" and its not hot like folks think it is and it sure adds alot of flavor to the soup. Must have cornbread with lots of REAL butter too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My MIL's pumpkin soup, which really does start with a pumpkin!! mmmmmmmm it's legendary!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D I'm making soup tomorrow. I roasted a chicken for dinner tonight, all the juice from that pan went into my crock pot along with the carcass, I added 5 cups of water - but I might add more later.
The roast was done with lots of garlic and onion so I got all that yummy saved.

I'll put the pot on tomorrow and let it go all day - and throw in whatever veggies I have. I don't have celery but I normally add a few sticks just for extra flavour.
I like to add a can (yeah yeah) of whole corn, with all the liquid, but I don't have one now. :/

YUM - about an hour before dinner time I'll add some noodles or rice.

Latest posts