Soup Recipes--Your Fav!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love soups,bean, squash,chicken, sure are some good sounding recipes here...! Hands down, my favorite is chicken soup, the way my Silician grandma use to make, kinda...lol
I really don't have a recipe per say, but here goes..,
If i want a big batch i use two 4-5lb birds, a big bunch of parsley, a whole large head of garlic,at least half a large bunch of celery,a pound bag of carrots, two med. to large onions and about a tablespoon of dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and those little tiny pastas, like tubettini or acini de pepe, fresh grated cheese...
I cover chickens with water bring to a boil , then simmer until meat is cooked. Remove chicken from pot,let broth cool. If i have time i refrig.and let the fat come to the surface and remove all i can. Add chopped onions,parsley,celery,carrots,garlic and spices...simmer and taste to see if you want more salt/pepper,at this point i'm usaully throwing in more chopped up fresh garlic...lol...i love garlic...sometimes i'll throw in a couple chicken bouillon cubes...
When veggies are cooked throw in bite sized chicken pieces and a few tablespoons of the pasta, or if you prefer rice/noodle, cook until tender.. Only put the pasta/rice/noodles in what you think will be eaten at that time, or it will suck up all the chicken broth in the soup.( i know most of you know that..lol )
Sprinkle grated cheese on soup and eat..Kevin
Not only is it tasty, i like it at any sign of a cold/flu etc..I believe in the healing powers of fresh garlic and fresh parsley.I swear i almost always feel better when i start feeling under the weather and make and eat grandmas chicken soup...

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sure are some good recipes here! I'm going to try a bunch of them. Thanks!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
holy moley
the soup recipes are wonderful. I got a ton of new things to try. great thread and so glad everyone is adding to the list! :)

you know you read threads like this and get instantly HUNGRY! YUMMO!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't know whether I've ever used a recipe for soup. I was raised in a household where soup is what you do with all the leftovers :) and lemme tell you, my mom still makes the BEST soup in the world that way :) Better than I do, certainly. It's not just up to the leftovers, there is an art to it.

You'd be surprised what leftovers go well in soup. Salad, for instance, is great (cut the lettuce into strips). Slivered or sliced almonds -- I actually now add them especially to the soup instead of relying on teh few times we have 'em in the leftovers. A little zot of something spicy -- mom uses tabasco, I prefer a jar of sambal oelek from the chinese grocery -- never hurt anything; you're not trying to make the soup spicy, just make it taste better without any detectible fire. And unless you are a vegetarian, adding some meat helps too (leftover chicken or some sliced-and-chunked kielbasa are my favorites).

I will admit there are a few things that do not (to my tastes anyhow) go well in that sort of soup. Bread yes; cheese no. Shredded cabbage yes; sweet and sour red cabbage no (my mom disagrees). Hardboiled eggs yes; leftover scrambled eggs no (they get bizarrely soggy and eeuuwwy).

But soup can absorb most things and come out quite yummy. Darn those chickens, for stealing most of my potential soup material these days... :p

Pat

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've only followed a recipe for soup once, and it was a Spanish Bean Soup is what they called it. Made w/ garbonzo beans, potatoes, onions, chorizo, saffron (I think) chicken stock/broth, and a pigs foot (isn't there some other term for it? ham hock?)
Put it all in a crock in the a.m., ready at dinner time. Serve with rice, shredded mozzarella, diced onions. It's so wonderful!

Other than that, I just throw leftovers in and call it soup. Or stash leftovers in the freezer for this purpose.

Today we had potato, broccolli, cauliflower, carrot soup. It was delicious! I made it like a loaded potato soup, but added the other veggies b/c I had them as leftovers.

Loved reading all the yummy soup ideas! Soups my fav. meal!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here are a couple of our favorite soups. These are easily doubled.

Tomato-Basil Soup
Makes about 6 servings

2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 large carrot, cleaned and shredded
5 large fresh tomatoes, coarsely cut up
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
Extra basil for garnish

Heat butter or oil in a 3-quart non-reactive (stainless steel, enamel-clad metal or Pyrex) saucepan, then saut onion and carrot over medium heat until softened. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup basil, sugar, salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until tomatoes are very soft. Force through a food mill (alternative: peel, seed and chop tomatoes before cooking, then process soup in a blender or food processor). Taste for seasoning.

Serve portions in warmed bowls. Garnish each serving with a sprig of basil. I love this with homemade garlic & herb bread.

Cannellini Garlic Soup
Serves 4

2 c vegetable stock
8 large cloves garlic
1 med onion, coarsely chopped
4 c cooked cannellini or other white bean (2 x 16 oz cans, drained & rinsed)

In large saucepan, combine stock, garlic and onion. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft, about 20 minutes. Add half of beans to pan. Using immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Return soup to med heat, stir in remaining beans. Cook about 5 - 10 minutes until hot.

Serve with crusty bread.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomato basil is my husbands favorite soup in a can, I bet homemade is better, I will have to try that.
There are so many soups listed we would actually eat!! :weee

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Cannellini Garlic Soup
Serves 4

2 c vegetable stock
8 large cloves garlic
1 med onion, coarsely chopped
4 c cooked cannellini or other white bean (2 x 16 oz cans, drained & rinsed)

In large saucepan, combine stock, garlic and onion. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft, about 20 minutes. Add half of beans to pan. Using immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Return soup to med heat, stir in remaining beans. Cook about 5 - 10 minutes until hot.

Serve with crusty bread.
Oooh, I make a soup kind of like that, with white beans and garlic, and it's just delicious. Mmmmm. Here's my variation:

1 cup dry cannellini beans, soaked overnight
a whole head of garlic cloves, peeled
a big bunch of sage leaves
olive oil
(1/2 pound spinach leaves)
(or sliced, cooked sausage)

Cover beans with water (3 or 4 cups maybe? I usually just do it by sight...) and add in garlic cloves and sage. Simmer, covered, all afternoon until melty and delicious. If using spinach, add and simmer about 5-10 minutes more. If using sausage, add just 2 minutes before removing from heat. After heat is off, drizzle in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Serve with crusty bread, just like keljonma says.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
keljonma--your recipes sound splendid!!! I need to try to scrounge up some basil somewhere and some ripening green tomatoes to try the first one out!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I made tomato basil soup the other day- YUMMY!! I still have some left in the fridge for lunches all week. Oh, and I used dried basil--its what i had in the house.