Soup Recipes--Your Fav!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I made tomato basil soup the other day- YUMMY!! I still have some left in the fridge for lunches all week. Oh, and I used dried basil--its what i had in the house.
Yeah, I use my dried homegrown basil during the winter.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is similar to some others' here but I call it Garbage Soup. I had been calling it that for years when I saw the name used in a Rosamund Pilcher novel Winter Solstice.

Anyway, it's similar to those who pull the left-overs out of the frig...with one difference...instead of having those left-overs in the frig, I take the last 4 greenbeans, bit of spaghetti sauce or whathaveyou and it goes into a specially marked "Garbage Soup" container in the freezer. Then when the container is full, I thaw it out and make soup. Sometimes it's got enough left-over taco meat or beans with rice mixtures in it for protein or I might add some Boca meat to it, maybe some boullion cubes -- just depends on what it needs. It's always a different soup.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm with most of you folks....my soups don't have a specified ingredients list and hardly even a title! If I made this chicken soup for company, I might add a few things like celery or such, but when I make it at home, its quick and hearty that I look for in a soup:

Chicken Sausage Not-Quite-Gumbo Soup

Chicken off the bone and cut or pulled into bite sized pieces
Rice
Kielbasa-diced into bite sized pieces
onions
egg noodles
spices-lots of garlic, pepper, etc. ----we like it spicey!
bullion cubes-chicken flavor

Cook chicken in a stock pot, along with a handful of bullion cubes or powder(to taste, of course!), minced onions, spices. Cook some rice separately, or even with the chicken if you don't mind it being a little overcooked at the end. Take out the chicken to cool and dice or pull into bite-sized bits, dump the noodles in the still boiling water, along with the diced kielbasa and cook until noodles are done. Add the rice and chicken. This is a spicey, hearty soup that goes well with ers or homemade bread....and so addictive that you cannot eat just one bowl!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My new favorite soup is Left Over Turkey Soup.

I boiled my turkey carcass with celery, onion and garlic. Strained the broth up (tossed the carcass) and tossed in some mixed vegies along with some green onions, celerly, a half of can of chicken broth left over from the dressing, some barley a few egg noodles and the left over turkey. Served with yeast rolls.

Turned out great.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This recipe is from The Quilting Cookbook and was contributed by Sara Yoder of Mt. Hope, OH.

This recipe makes 24 quarts of soup. We serve it with crusty rolls or bread. It is great for warming up a crowd after caroling, skiing, or sledding...

Hearty Ham Soup

6 lb. ham chunks
2 lg. onions
6 qt. cubed potatoes
2 qt. carrots
2 qt. celery
2 c. butter
2 1/2 - 3 gallons milk
3 c. flour
2 lb. cheese
pepper and salt to taste

Cook potatoes, celery, onions, and carrots until tender; drain. Add ham, salt, and pepper. Melt butter. Add flour; stir over heat until browned. Add 1 gallon milk. Heat until almost boiling. Add ham, vegetables, and remaining milk. Heat through, then add cheese. Do not boil.

Yield: 24 qt.