Sourdough Starter questions...

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, this is what it looks like now, almost in day three. The bubbles aren't from me stirring, as I only did that once, and so gently!

100_2350.jpg

But it's still a bit separated...

100_2352.jpg

It smells weird! I guess it's a bit sour, but right now it isn't like beer or yeast. Just odd.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
that looks great!!! how does it smell?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It smells strong of bleck. I dunno, just strong and weird. I have no frame of reference other than store bought sourdough sorry. It would be called sour I guess. Now there are lots more bubbles, and it seems as though it's more liquid-y. I'll post another picture tomorrow. I still feel like I'm just growing mold or something.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
with such a small amount i think you could feed it little bits of flour and water just dont throw any out till you build it up a bit more. i would only feed it when it starts to smell real sour and you start to get that small layer of water on top. it really will smell like bananas when it is happy and ready or at least seem "sweet" compared to what you are smelling now.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
henny, it should smell like strong beer (not miller sprite).

J.J. thanks for that tip, I will use it in the future...my starter was small in the beginning too.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Day 4! I'm so happy you said that there would be a little water on the top, or I would have panicked! There is water on the top today! What a difference from yesterday. Hope it's okay.

100_2353.jpg

100_2355.jpg

So I can feed it? Just sprinkle some on the top or mix it in? And I would say that it smells better than yesterday, a bit less yucky and more sweet/sour.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think the stuff on top is called "hooch" and you are supposed to pour it off or mix it in, depending upon how wet or dry your starter is.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah I googled it, and I think it's normal. I transferred it to a clean bowl, because the other one was icky, and stirred in the hooch. Then added a bit of water and flour. It's only been an hour or so, and it's already bubbling again. They are kind of... Pushing aside the liquid. At least the bubbles mean I didn't kill it, I hope!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think it will be hard to kill it at this point. It sounds like you are well on your way. :)