Sourdough Starter questions...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey, JesseJames . . . If you read this, I need a sourdough pancake recipe!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Hey, JesseJames . . . If you read this, I need a sourdough pancake recipe!
DrakeMaiden, I can get you one. Just have to make a phone call. I found a great Alaskan Sourdough recipe book at the thrift store. It has recipes for everything. I gave it to my Alaskan friend, but it would just take a phone call to get the recipe.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sheesh, i wish I had read this earlier. I just dumped out my starter because I thought it was bad and it looked just like the pic! Dang it! So now that I know it was alright then I guess I'll start it again. When will it be able to be used?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It depends upon how fast it grows. If it is warm where you are, it will probably grow quickly.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok i must now dig deep into my musty brain......
ahhh well now got it.
i just use a regular pancake mix recipe omit b. powder. then make batter with 2 parts pancake 1 part sourdough leave in fridge over night or on counter for a cpl hrs.
watch out though sugar will make starter really active so if you are not going to use right away fridge it.

i will go on later about my theory of thirds and sourdough baking but basically you can make anything sourdough by omiting commercial leaven and add sourslurry

when making bread i build dough up over 3 days making it a third more firm with everydays feeding till on day three you have dough!!
i then usually shape and retard (put in fridge) overnight for a slow rise and then proof out at room temp and bake!!!

i wanta kitchen !!!!! i want bake !!!! i wanna cook!! i wanna EAT!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you, JesseJames! I'm sorry you have no kitchen right now . . . I hope you are able to have one soon!

I will have to try your process for making bread. I think my sourdough does not like to make things rise. :/ It is good and sour though. Oh, and when I add commercial yeast to whatever I am cooking . . . stand back! . . . it really takes off! :lol:

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey DM what kind of flour are you using in your sour
if it is really sour and not rising it means that it has eaten all the protein you have given it and is starving so it doesnt have the strength to do what you want.
try keeping in it in the fridge for one
also throw away all but a cup of it and build back up from there either doubling in size once daily and leaving in the fridge all but for a few hours or if it is out of the fridge you will have to feed it and reduce it alot more.
keep trying your sourdough should really smell more sweet than sour think banana peels
good luck

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks JJ.

Honestly, I have been feeding it not the best flour in the world. Cheap white all purpose flour. I guess I should start treating it better! Maybe that is the biggest problem I am having.

I have gone back and forth between keeping it in the fridge and then letting it sit out on the shelf for some time (and throwing half away and feeding it every 24 hrs). I did notice it went through a more sour phase and then it now seems to be less sour smelling -- potentially sweet (I just took a quick whiff, so I didn't really analyze it too much).

It seems like as a sponge it doubles nicely, but when I make bread it wimps out.

I just had a chat with my mom about flour, because I bought some rye flour to make a Greek style sourdough bread recipe. I could only find one brand of rye flour, after lots of looking, but it was from a local co-op grain mill. I had not seen this brand of flours before, because they keep it on the bottom shelf (and it was also behind one of those dumb cardboard displays). My mom says that's the best flour she has ever used, probably because it is high protein as it was more recently ground . . . I think maybe I should get some of their regular wheat flour for my sourdough now. I will have to make another trip to the store. Thanks again, JJ! :D