Sourdough Starter

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since it costs over $3 for a loaf of bread I have decided to try this. I figure that I can make the 1-2 loaves a week instead of buy it. Note that I have not tried it yet. But I am going to, so for everyone interested, here it is.
3 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 pkg Fleischman's active dry or rapid rise yeast
2 c warm water

In lg plastic, ceramic or stainless steel container w/ tight fitting lid, combine flour and undissolved yeast. Gradually add warm water to dry ing. and beat till smooth. Cover, let stand in warm place until mix is bubbly and sour smelling, a clear liquid has formed on top, about two - 4 days. Starter may darken, but if it changes to another color, discard and start over. To store, cover and refrigerate.
To replenish and keep starter alive:
Once a week, stir in equal amounts of all purpose flor and warm water (105*). Beat until smooth. Cover and let stand in warm place until mix is bubbly and sour smelling and a clear liquid has formed on top, about 10-12hrs. Use or cover and refrigerate until ready to use. :/
All that typing is rough on the fingers LOL. I will post the sourdough bread recipe tomorrow. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How much yeast is in a package? I buy my yeast in jars.

patiently waiting for recipe.... have never made sourdough bread. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Over the years I have tried to make and keep a sourdough starter going, and have repeatedly failed. The problem I always have is contamination. Just by re-mixing the new batches as you remove starter every time I seem to introduce either unwanted bacteria or mold. The effort to start a nice culture is short lived as the culture goes bad. I have started with commercial starters, home grown air caught starters, and this last time with a yogurt starter. Works great for a loaf or two, then I am throwing it out. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My problem exactly. I start it, looks wonderful, but in a couple weeks of adding new food to the mix, it just turns a horrible color and I throw it out. I have trouble keeping the bugger fed properly or something..LOL

I read to use plastic only when mixing...no metal spoons or anything...still didn't help me..LOL

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I used to be a lab tech a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. We cultured all kinds of bacteria, and I know the drills. I sterilize everything I can, but without a clean room and an autoclave I just am a failure at keeping a nice clean culture in my own kitchen!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also heard people have like 20 year old starter in their fridge...I envy them that can keep this going and pass it on to other people etc. etc.

Kinda like some have a green thumb and some don't....some can have a sourdough starter thumb and I don't..LOL-LOL

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
How much yeast is in a package? I buy my yeast in jars.
Me too. There are 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast in a package. I got a cheap measuring spoon at some point that is the size of a packet of yeast... I don't know where they sell them though.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's another bread recipe, no yeast needed and no starter to keep going. The beer gives it that yeasty bread taste even though it has no yeast. Best of all , no kneading , and no waiting for bread to rise.

Beer Bread
12 ounce can beer
3 cups SIFTED self rising flour ( add 3 t baking powder and 1 t salt if using 3 cups regular flour instead )
1/4 cup sugar

Add beer to dry ingredients and stir , put into greased bread pan , may pour a bit of melted butter over loaf if you wish , i do about 1/4 cup.

bake 375 for one hour , remove from pan and cool

great warm with butter or with spinach dip , mmmmmmm

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am sorry I didnt post it yesterday. I weeded my long neglected garden, only got half done. I will post recipe tonight when I go home. Anyway, I think ScottyG answered your question Miss_thenorth. I started my starter last night. After reading all the negative experiences today I wish I hadnt even posted it. But I'll never know till I try right? I will keep you updated if you want. Let me know....I can tell you right off the bat that the plastic container I put it in was way to small so I had to put it into my large stainless steel mixing bowl. So already I have created a problem I guess.
It says it will take three to four days to create the liquid you need in the recipe. :)