Sourdough Starter

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you got no frothy type bubbles or anything...just dead flour????

just make a new batch and try again. I had to make a few to get it started also...my problem was keeping it going??

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I started my with whole grain rye flour on Sunday. By Mon. evening it had nearly doubled in size...I let the evening get away from me and did not feed it so this morning it had dropped back down by half. I went ahead and fed it this morning.

Roosmom, how about keeping your starter on top of your refrigerator or near your stove if you have a pilot light? That might be enough extra heat to keep it going.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will try again, but when I was complaining to my MOTHER, she said it was too cold in here. That coming from a woman who can really bake.
I never even thought of the top of the fridge. Good call. Will try tonight. Do you think I can just use the stuff I had? (no-not in the garbage yet, lol).
No way in hell I am going to the BASEMENT to put it on top of the water heater. Yucky doen there. Good thought tho, LOL. Thanks so can i just reuse what I started with? or go fresh? or try both and see which one wins? :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would try what you have got ...give it 24 hours, if you don't see anything then start over.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Roosmom,
Try using a small ice chest if you have one. Put a couple of jars of hot water inside wrapped in tea towles and your starter. Close the ice chest and wrap it in a blanket. This is how I maintain temp for yogurt making, works like a charm. It also worked for my starter.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yea, we do have a woodstove....outside. I am going to post pics of it. Cant use it for that tho....:|

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well mine is not doing a darn thing. I must have missed my window of opportunity to feed it, and the yeast must have died. I have feed it two times since and nothing.

Maybe I will try to use some of it in a loaf and try to rejuvenate what I have left.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, if you are doing the sourdough starter, mine isnt doing anything either. In the first post at the bottom of the recipe it says that it should develop a clear liquid. Did yours develop that?