Sourdough Starter

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I just noticed that the recipe I uploaded last nite is not working either, that is because I deleted it from my uploads. I am in the process of re uploading it. I apologize. I will say tho......you might want to write it down cuz I am going to delete it if I need more room in my uploads. Sorry.

Miss_thenorth, I did not. I put it inside the little cardboard box I made for the starter under my lights lol. I just needed to see what temp the box got to. It averaged 80 degrees everyday. ROTFL, yea I will send you some. Border patrol would open it up, get one whiff and keel over. Then I would get arrested.

You sill thing tfpets, You dont smell it LOL. I ate a big slice last night, I am here talking to you arent I?

DrakeMaiden and Miss_thenorth dont give up. Please copy this recipe down. And please, if you have any questions about the cardboard box, look at the journal. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Here, I transcribed the recipe for you, roosmom. Now quit giving my fingers a work-out! ;)

Sourdough Bread

Makes 2 loaves.

1 cups sourdough starter (use Sourdough Starter recipe above -- posted on page 1 of this thread -- or your own starter)
4 to 5 cups bread or all-purpose flour (amount varies according to consistency of starter used)
1 package (2 tsp) yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup very warm water (120 to 130 F)
Cornmeal

Stir sourdough starter before measuring. Measure out 1 cups sourdough starter and bring to room temperature.

In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, dry yeast, and salt. Gradually add water and starter to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, about 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 60 minutes. (Rapid-Rise Yeast takes 10 minutes).

Punch dough down. Remove dough to floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half to 12 x 9 inch rectangle. Beginning at long end of each, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Taper ends by gently rolling back and forth. Place, seam sides down, on large greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.

With sharp knife, make 4 or 5 diagonal slashes (1/4 inch deep) across top of each loaf. Bake at 400 F for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. For crispy crust, spray loaves with water just before baking and every 5 minutes during the first 10 minutes of baking time. Remove from baking sheet; let cool on wire rack.

To make round loaves: Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 5 ball. Place on large greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place, until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes. Make knife slashes and spray, as with above loaves.

Variation: Replace cup water with cup yogurt, buttermilk, or flat beer.

Edited for spelling.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I too have decided to make my own bread because it's getting so expensive. I started two weeks ago by making my own starter. I didn't use yeast, I actually only used wheat flour and warm water to get my started. It takes longer but it works.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anybody catch the article in the Mother Earth News about bread? Very informative for folks who want to whip up a batch to eat with a meal or such. The pizza crust sounded good.

I'm wondering if I could treat my bread dough the same way and store in the fridge for up to 2 wks. That way I could make a mess one day and make a couple of batches of bread from the same mess!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden you are a dollie, er a lifesaver (my granddaughter would get mad is she knew I called you that, thats her nickname) lol
Thank you, I will now delete the corresponding recipe redipe pages.

Beekissed, the fleischmans breadbook says that you can freeze their master bread dough recipe bread. It say to put it into a 6" disc shape, put into 1 gallon freezer bags and freeze for up to one month.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Anybody catch the article in the Mother Earth News about bread? Very informative for folks who want to whip up a batch to eat with a meal or such. The pizza crust sounded good.

I'm wondering if I could treat my bread dough the same way and store in the fridge for up to 2 wks. That way I could make a mess one day and make a couple of batches of bread from the same mess!
I have frozen dough before with no problems. However, I have also refrigerated some, and it kept rising and rising in the fridge. It burst out of the bag I put it in. So I won't be doing that again.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
roosmom said:
DrakeMaiden you are a dollie, er a lifesaver (my granddaughter would get mad is she knew I called you that, thats her nickname) lol
Thank you, I will now delete the corresponding recipe redipe pages.
Mum's the word. ;)

I often store extra pizza dough in the fridge. I put it in a round tuperware container with plenty of head space. If you refrigerate dough, make sure you use it within about a week. It goes downhill from there.