SoyBean's Self Sufficient Life

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have not been horseback riding in years. Sometimes I miss it and other times I think.....well, maybe not. I don't bounce like I use to. LOL

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Soybean said:
I've been vegetarian for a little over a year now. I went vegan for about 3 months last year, but I didn't know how to cook anything and ended up not eating much. I didn't think I could go vegetarian/vegan either. (I love ribs!) but I did it and I don't think I could ever go back. Meat smells disgusting to me now. But I still have to cut it up and hand feed it to my cats and ferrets. And as I said before, I breed my own feeder animals. People still are not sure how I can watch my ferret kill and devour a mouse right before my eyes and I don't think anything of it.
Hi Jay!
Being vegetarian and especially vegan can mean a lot of new cooking lessons. I have been working at it for years and am still learning. I have ethical problems with feeding my pets. The cats really do need meat protein, and the chickens are omnivores like the dog. I don't have any great solutions, just doing the best I can. My chickens are the ones that get the live prey, if it gets in the pen it is a gonner.

So what type of snakes do you have? When I was a young-un like you and just married we got a couple of snakes (so long ago I don't even remember what type), we were living in the attic of MIL to save money. Only had the snakes about a week before they escaped into her house.... never saw them again :lol:

The first time I was snake bit, by a king snake I picked up in the wild, made me much less afraid of being snake bit by a non-venemous snake. I just unhinged his fangs from my arm, appoligized for making it angry, and let it go. ;)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I eat meat (and anything else edible) now, but I lived in a vegan/vegetarian co-op in college, and I was one of only TWO people in the house with any idea how to cook, so I learned real fast how to get creative with ingredients, how to make dinner out of the 4 things left in your cupboards, how to make 3 different dishes of the same meal (one vegan, one veggie, and one gluten-free, sometimes), and so on. Nothing like a little forced cooking to teach you how to cook!

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As far as feeding my animals, I just go with what they are supposed to eat. The cats are loving their raw diet and I'm noticing an improvement in their dental health. I have my own issues with the meat industry but I hope to one day be supplying my own whole prey animals that I breed myself. I'm already breeding rats but not near as many as I need.

Snakes. I love snakes. I got my first snake back in 2006. I'd had snakes before when I was little, but I didn't do anything but hold them from time to time. My first snake was a snow corn. I still have her. She's about two years old. I also have three other corn snakes. A hypo, a ghost, and an opal. I have a little colombian red-tail boa. She's still a tiny thing. Ball pythons are one of my favorites. I plan on being a breeder of ball python morphs. My collection includes 3 normal females, 1 100% heterozygous for pied male normal, 1 pinstripe female, 1 pastel female, 1 pastel male, and 1 spider male. I'll post pictures sometime. :)

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have not posted in a while, but I am still alive. Update: We have moved. We moved in with my mother in law in her 3 bedroom townhouse. It is closer to work and we are allowed to have our animals.

I'm still not allowed to have any more though so keeping button quail, rabbits, chickens, ect is still a no for now.

I do plan on starting a garden in the backyard though. I have not even started on my list of things I want to learn. I think I'm going to focus on one of them at a time. I think I'm going to learn to crochet first. Doing this will allow me to make my own bedding for my animals (hammocks for the ferrets, beds for the dog/cats, ect).

I am also going to start a new thing here at the house. I'm going to set aside one day a week to be the day that I go without electricity. The entire day I will not use lights, t.vs, computers, ect.

I'm still vegetarian and will stay that way. My husband is still an omni, but I'm ok with that. I told him that I will be much more comfortable with him eating meat when we have our own farm and I can raise the meat we will use for his meals and for our carnivorous animals.

I really really wish I could start raising either quail or rabbits. It would really help with feeding the animals. With just the ferrets, we go through 7lbs of meat a week. If you add in the cats and dog, we would be using 30lbs per week!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are doing well. Your idea for conserving electricity is great. Good luck with the garden. :D

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm growing carrots, cucumbers, mint, and rosemary this year. If all goes well (or even sort of well), then I will expand it next year to include tomatoes, potatoes, and radishes. (radishes, yum!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, goodness, do radishes this year! They grow so fast, you can sow them among your other veggies and pull them and eat them before the other stuff is barely out of the ground. Sow them among your carrots, for example, in a wide bed. Thinning them will help aerate the soil.

And it is so satisfying to eat that first veggie, so early in the season. Kinda the reason we plant crocuses and daffodils, so we will believe spring is indeed coming again this year. :ya

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm, suppose I could. My dream is to eventually produce all of my own food, but this year I'm starting small. Hahaha.

I will have to plant everything in pots this year since I know nothing of the backyard's soil quality. I'll have to take a few pictures of what I have to work with. My mother in law loves plants so she shouldn't mind me growing veggies in the backyard.

If I'm going to start my garden this year, when should I start it. This is my first time really getting serious about growing plants. I'm in Richmond, Va. I think that is in Zone 7 (not sure whether that is a or b)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yay! Another person from VA!!!

I live in Cartersville, in Cumberland county. We have 3 acres and 7 chickens, 3 rabbits, 3 labs, 2 cats, a hamster and a frog....oh and I have 2 kids and a wonderful hubby! We are planning our first garden this year too and just got our two raised beds built. I look forward to talking with you!!! :hugs