Spices

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:barnie

the prices!

holy cow. I had to buy some new supplies and the prices just knocked my socks off !

truly I know the 'goodness' is less...but to buy a packaged mix like McCormick is WAY cheaper than buying what I need to make some mixes.........well, just :barnie

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Really? I just bought spices at Safeway cuz they're on special: buy 2 get 1 free.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a friend who sells Epicure , and her prices for organic spices and spice blends haven't changed in years. It's a great company with great products :)

I don't buy grocery store spices because you never know where they are from or how old they are. :sick

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's true Abi. I need to get my butt back over to the store where I can do that. It's not convenient, but is better and cheaper.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also buy in bulk at the restaurant supply store or at Sam's club.. their turn over is quite fast so I know that the spices/herbs haven't been there forever. Then I vacpack it into big mason jars which are only opened to fill the smaller jars that are for everyday. then they get vacuumed again.
We do like one called old bay and if you buy it in the tin at the store it is almost $4 for that small tin.. I spend $6 and get enuf to fill about 8 of those tins.
But I usually buy straight herbs/spices and mix my own when needed.
I've also found that if I buy spices whole and then just toast and grind or just grind when I need them the flavor lasts and lasts. I've got whole nutmeg that I've had for over 5 years in vacpacked jar and it still tastes wonderful when I grate it into my recipes. Same with my whole cinnamon sticks..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yes, whole spices are definitely the way to go. They need to be kept away from light and air, but otherwise they are good for a long long time. Herbs are a little harder to keep, but since we can grow most of those in our gardens it isn't as big a deal.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know everyone can't grow every spice and herb- but the ones I can grow I truly enjoy! They don't take up a lot of garden space, they are super easy to dry and store, often come back from seed (even if they are "annuals"). My cupboards are full of canning jars with, basil, tarragon, parsley, mint, lemon grass, and a few others I have forgotten. If I couldn't grow any "real" food, I would still find a way to do the herbs. Such a joy to open those lids during the dark days of winter!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Mountain Rose Herbs is the way to go. For example, Cinnamon is about $7 for a full pound.
Service is wonderful. They send the order out right away.
We are working towards a nice big bulk order, and I have the blueprints for a spice rack that holds wither pint or quart jars.
I can use cozies for stuff that needs to stay dark.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Frontier isn't bad. We buy the restaurant size spices at GFS and freeze them, and bulk spices from the co-op and vac seal them. I have been happy with this. It's nice that we don't have to buy herbs anymore. :cool: