Sponsoring a 9 year old from Puru

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a pen pal ๐Ÿ˜Š He's a 9 year old young man from Puru, that I'm sponsoring through world vision. The monthly donation is easy, automatic withdrawal. But I'm not a very good pen pal. I can tell you that is 100% truth! It's hard for me to find time to write anything meaningful. I try to stay on the encouragement path. But have drifted into stories of my childhood a little.

I'm trying my imperfect best to write every two weeks. My imperfection clearly shows, I'm a week late :(. Sponsoring this young man is a true blessing in more ways than I can begin to explain. I would really like to meet him and his dad, mom and sister. But what I would like, is not always what happens. This came to mind tonight. I thought I would share it with you.

May The Lord always bless and keep you. May your dreams all come true. May you always do for others. And let others do for you. May you build a ladder to heaven. And climb up every rung. May your soul stay, forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous, straight and true. May you always know Christ. And His Love surrounding you. May you always be a leader, who's brave and strong. And may your heart remain, forever young.

May your hands be busy. May your feet be swift. May you have a strong foundation. When the winds of change shift. May you always be loving, joyful and kind. May of your forgiveness be a song that is sung. And may you, stay forever young.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You should not beat yourself up about not writing more often; world vision projects benefit the whole community of which this young man is part, and your sponsorship sustains him and them irrespective of how often you are able to write. And they are starting up virtual visits in some places, so in due course you may be able to meet him on zoom :)

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey new here but have been on backyard herd for a long while. It's pretty neat sponsoring a kid from Peru. Me and my wife went on a work team to work on a church in Peru about 6 yrs ago we have missionary friends who live and work there. Also my daughter who is 7 best friend is Peruvian and lives here and goes to church with us

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went shopping at eBay for a chess set & Walmart for drawing supplies. I felt lost in Walmart, but a very nice lady and her daughter helped me find the very last pencil sharpener in the store. I most definitely do not have the gift of finding things ๐Ÿ™„

He's been telling me he likes to play chess and draw, I hope he likes these. There's a 4 lb and 9 x12 envelope limit for shipping to World Vision Lima Puru. Now all that's left is, finding time to go visit the post office.

IMG_20220812_220605960~2.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard to believe it's been a year already. I believe he's happy with the chickens. I think I see a bit of a smile on his face, if so, then mission accomplished โœ“ Thank You Almightyโ˜๏ธ

Screenshot_20220713-210003~2.png

Screenshot_20220713-210323~2.png

Screenshot_20220713-210339~2.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Doing a little more research...

It would seem that I picked a really good time to sponsor a child in Puru. The current USD to PEN exchange rate is about 4.1. So that means every dollar I donate turns into around 4 Peruvian Sol. This is really good news.

Screenshot_20211011-204138.png

I was curious what food cost in Ausangate Puru. There are several websites so, I just randomly picked one. I guess this would be a average or at least I hope that's what these numbers represent.

Screenshot_20211011-210207.png

So now that I have the exchange rate and the cost of food items, I can get a educated guess at some items in terms of USD, minus the tax man of course.

1 gallon Milk 16.23 PEN / 4.1 = about $3.96 USD.

1 dozen eggs 5.84 PEN / 4.1 = $1.42

Etc...

I doesn't seem like there is much difference in food prices than here in the USA.

Did I do this right? Good estimating?

Edit... Playing around a little bit more with NUMBEO. It says:
Summary:

• Cost of living in Peru is, on average, 56.13% lower than in United States.
  • Rent in Peru is, on average, 75.05% lower than in United States.
And you can convert the table to USD, which is nice. So here are the average USD for food items in Puru. I was close ๐Ÿ˜. But still not seeing much diffence in the cost of food in the USA vs Puru. Besides for produce and veggies, wow really cheap in Puru.

Screenshot_20211011-212533.png

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading about a variety they grow specifically for emergency staples. It's an extremely ancient variety- possibly even the original. You can't eat it fresh, because it turns green before it's even finished forming, but the ancient Inca learned that if they smashed the tubers and left them out on the highest mountains the tubers would freeze dry, and the process apparently makes them safe to eat. Being freeze dried, they stay good in stores for years in the event of a crop failure.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20211030_212406_464.jpg

Holding up a flip-flop to take a selfie with his friends. Childern are simply amazing!

Reminds me when I was a child, we would play star trek communicator. Real flip phone have come and gone, ours where pretend ofcourse. How about stretching string a quarter mile to your friends house with tin cans knotted on each end. So you could talk "privately" at night. Who did that? ๐Ÿ™‹

Hope this picture touched your heart like it has mine.

I must remember tomorrow is writing letter day.