Spring Cleaning product PICS?! - soaps, laundry, cleaners, etc.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Daffodils At The Sea said:
Moolie, how do you grate the bar soap? I've tried grating the pink Zote soap, which I love the smell of, but it is an odd consistency, even when melted.
I just use a cheese grater, the finer side :)

I've never seen Zote soap, so don't know if it will grate the same way that Sunlight does though :hu

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
moolie said:
Daffodils At The Sea said:
Moolie, how do you grate the bar soap? I've tried grating the pink Zote soap, which I love the smell of, but it is an odd consistency, even when melted.
I just use a cheese grater, the finer side :)

I've never seen Zote soap, so don't know if it will grate the same way that Sunlight does though :hu
I remember trying to use Zote soap once and also found that it was too soft to grate well. I wonder if you left it sitting out for a while if it would dry a little and get harder? I remember finding a bar of Fels Naptha in the back of the cupboard that I had forgotten; it was really hard, and when I tried to grate it it turned into a fine powder instead of the flakes I was expecting.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't found the Zote to change its texture. I have spent hours melting it, then it tends to go into blobs when the batch cools, and I have .to microwave the liquid mixture before putting it in the washer. Just too much fuss. although I love the scent, but I've gone back to Bronner's

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The recipe I use for laundry soap gives you a final product that's about the same texture as mayonnaise... I just spoon it out of a Mason Jar-- no microwaving needed.

meflower

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Baking soda on my cook stove, just sprinkle a little on and use a wet cloth. It works better than any scouring powder you could buy.:/

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with you there meflower- I swear by the baking soda as well. But I do remember one time, when the stove top had not been cleaned in a while for several reasons and there was a lot of burned on 'gunk' in the cooking well... I had been canning, so the well was very hot, and I accidentally spilled some water into it- enough that it didn't just evaporate. When I got around to wiping it down later, after it all cooled, I found that the gunk had softened up and I was able to wipe all that burned on grease with just a rag and the water, so apparently boiling water can do a good job too.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea, thanks for posting that recipe. That is the one I use, except I've tried to incorporate Zote. Even if I melt it, it still seems to gel up, or maybe I'm not diluting it enough. Maybe it goes farther than I think :)