Spring projects....anyone cooking up new ones right now?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I still have my list from the fall projects I didn't complete but I am determined to complete several projects for spring. Anyone else out there planning and scheming for spring already?

My project list so far for Jan~April:

Building a lean-to greenhouse out of the glass I dumpster dived for....repurposing the glass for my greenhouse was the reason I scrounged it. I have 4 shower doors, two screen doors, 4 sets of windows so far.

Building large shelving in my outbuilding so as to better organize all tools and storage items. Also build some windows into the same building for more air flow and natural lighting.

Building a garden fence...a strong, permanent one this time.

Building two top bar hives from a blue plastic barrel that was here when I moved here....I just knew that thing would come in handy!

Building a permanent fence down the middle of the orchard, so as to implement rotational grazing this year.

Possibly digging a small pond in the middle of my orchard for bee hydration, duck habitat and for the pleasure of having a water reservoir if needed.

So far, this is the list...but I would venture to say that I may come up with more before it is all said and done.

How about you all? Any new plans?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where to start??? (My list keeps getting longer,...)

Finishing the cellar
Building a fire pit
Putting up a clothesline
Building new raised beds for my garden
Building the mudroom/kitchen/dining room and buying my new wood cookstove! :weee

Learning to be more frugal with the money so I can afford that new stove. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good thing for me my farm is complete. I have been farming for income over 12 years at least----I don't need fencing anymore, I don't need barns, etc. My land is tilled to the amt. wanted for produce etc.
My hay fields are set...etc.

My spring projects are:
putting in flag stone patio at end of steps that lead to the pool
(getting super muddy there, time to end that)

building an outdoor kitchen/bbq grill with bricks or rock and a small oven insert area. (looking for plans for something I like still, kinda got an idea)

maybe working more on the farm pond. It is big but the sides are sloped too much and it is not user friendly for humans yet...LOL

that is about it --- Spring for me means farm kicks in full gear for income. So my time in spring, summer and fall is limited due to working the farm.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
For now, I only have 2 plans for spring.

Adding to the pasture so we have rotational grazing.

Hatching chicks to sell at local feedstore in April/May

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
let's see,
build the chicken coop (from free wood from craigslist! yea!)
til and plant 3 herb/flower beds
get my drainage right so I can hopefully dig the pond (BIL says it will never work and I'll just end up with a big dry hole)
but a bunch of shrubs and are blocking sun from the garden
hubby wants to build a wood deck over the patio
build a lean-to against the barn

we need more wood, but it's so expensive, we'll have to do the projects as we get wood from freecycle or craigslist.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
okie
what do you mean by build a wood deck over the patio?

I want to get rid of the wood deck and build a rock or brick patio on the ground...LOL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Fencing, definitely fencing! Fencing the garden all the way around to keep the dogs out and a larger fenced area for the ducks so they can wander around and go in their little pond and not poop all over my backyard and be chased by the Golden Retriever, whom I do not trust with them.
Painting the coop so I can finish my coop project submission for Nifty.... :/
Cleaning up the front flower garden which has been sadly neglected for a few years.
Crossing my fingers for a better tomato crop this year so I can actually can some.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Our biggest project is putting in an outdoor kitchen. For the past couple of months, we have been buying things we know we'll need.

We bought enough rock to build a wall 200' long and 10' high for only $1500. It was left over from a restaurant build and the guy just wanted rid of it. We got a grill insert on clearance from Lowe's for $299. It was originally $799.

As it looks now, the kitchen will join the back of the garage and measure about 12'x20'. I'm comparing prices now on cast iron gas burners. This will be a great place for cookouts, but mainly it will be used for canning. No more canning in the house! :ya

We also need to run water and electricity to the big greenhouse. Somehow, we skipped that last year.

Oh, and landscaping around DH's shop building.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
okie
what do you mean by build a wood deck over the patio?

I want to get rid of the wood deck and build a rock or brick patio on the ground...LOL
Well, we have a concrete patio. It's actually the top to the storm cellar.

This is what the place looked like when we bought it. You should see some of the pics!!! AHHHH! Imagine all the crap gone!
IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

This is what it looks like today. No really, TODAY, like 5 minutes ago.
IMG_5953.jpg
IMG_5954.jpg

anyway, the top slopes and hubby wants a deck that is flat, rain and ice doesn't set up on it and has some posts and rails around.
does that make sense?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow the differnce is huge..LOL

OH do you mean build a ROOF over the porch to keep it dry?