Spring projects....anyone cooking up new ones right now?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nope, he wants to build a deck over the storm shelter. With a "door" that opens right above the down into the cellar door. It will be flush with the deck floor so you won't even see it, sorta. that concrete is just an eye sore and at our old house we built a deck that I swear will last thru Oklahoma's best tornados. He has a tend to over do the bolts and brackets.

not sure if you can tell, but on the right is the garage door. he wants to be able to walk out the garage door onto the deck.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My spring project is to build a quail pen. I have a dog kennel as a base, but I need to make a hoop roof out of pvc and then add netting. Attacking netting to the sides also needs to be done. Quail are small so leaving it as it isn't going to work :D

I also got a small animal cage that needs some remodeling to fit quail. I think it was used for rats or something before. It needs a wire bottom instead of solid and the doors need reinforcing.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
*Set up some bee swarm boxes and get my empty hive/s ready with comb and lemongrass oil to attract swarms.

*Learn about guinea hens and do whatever needs to be done to keep them in my garden and yard.

*Attend as many vegetable growing conferences as I can this winter, which inevitably will lead to some spring projects to better my gardens. For sure, I will be doing some green manure planting this spring and hopefully something that can be great bee food, too.

*Clean out the chicken/turkey barn. Gak! I think 18 months of deep bedding is enough and it better get cleaned out now!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Spring....ahhhhh, I love that word :love

My one and only plan is to build two raised beds. I am going to have to rent a tiller, which Hubby is not going to be happy about. :idunno

I also guess I will need to better contain the hens. They pretty much have free rein and think they run the joint.

When we first got them as chicks, I imagined fencing off a portion of our yard keeping the girls in there along with my garden. Um, yeah. Now that I have lived with them for a year I am seeing the error in my thinking. I need to really give it some thought and devise a plan.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
*Learn about guinea hens and do whatever needs to be done to keep them in my garden and yard.
I am not an expert on guinea hens but I bought my as day olds and when they were ready to go outside, I kept them confined to cages in the pen for several weeks. When I finally let them out, they stayed. They occasionally wander across the road to my neighbor's lawn, but that is it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Green with envy over the projects you all are planning ! I am dreaming of raised beds. Like Okiegirl, though, buying wood is a little more than I can do, and have checked with Craigs List and FreeCycle and just have had no luck at all.

My spring plans start in a couple of weeks. in Zone 9, I can start seeds indoors for a number of things, which I plan to do. I have a south facing breakfast nook, and am going to bring in sawhorses and an old door to make a nice area for seeds to grow. I have a fluorescent tube light to hang there, as in the past when the front yard trees were in full leaf, the seedlings got pretty leggy and I lost a lot of them.

I actually have a listof things to do NOW ! After a serious amount of work, I finally cleaned out my garage this fall. Have lived here 22 years and I can finally use the workbench. I threw out five or six dumpsters full of junk, and now have a workbench piled with re discovered tools and hardware, etc. I need to organize it into bins, which is what I hope to start doing today if the temperature hits 50. It's raining, so it may.

I have some bulky stuff I need to put up in the eaves of the garage, but don't want to get on a ladder unless someone else is here.

Dad tightened my chain saws for me, so I will pick them up this afternoon, along with a 100' garden hose I got on Freecycle, and then when it dries out a bit will finish taking out my now bare mulberry tree.

I have a huge pile of collected cardboard I need to start breaking down into 2' wide strips for the paths between my rows. I have a couple of warped banquet tables that I am going to remove the legs from and give them to my son-in-law so he can put new wood on top.

This morning, I started undecorating my house from Christmas and will organize the decorations a little better before storing them back in the garage, on the shelves that are now empty.

Soon, I will be taking all six garden hoses I have collected on FreeCycle and start constructing my drip irrigation system. I found connectors, etc., that ought to make it work, at least I hope so. I will have five wide North/South garden rows, so I want to run an east/west hose, chop it at every row and add a T connector, then run a length of hose in which I have poked holes down the middle of the proposed row. The hole will of course have an end cap on the farthest end.

I typed a whole lot more...but deleted it when I realized I was just thinking out loud....

Final thought: I am so sick of sitting around. I need to DO something.....

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I need to make new nest boxes. (old ones made from the old siding off the house fell apart, siding too skinny to keep a screw)

I also want a chicken tractor so I can get meat chickens.

Then, I'd like a few raised beds for my garden, so I can grow veggies and be able to cover the beds for frost or greedy chickens.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Green with envy over the projects you all are planning ! I am dreaming of raised beds. Like Okiegirl, though, buying wood is a little more than I can do, and have checked with Craigs List and FreeCycle and just have had no luck at all.

My spring plans start in a couple of weeks. in Zone 9, I can start seeds indoors for a number of things, which I plan to do.
lol... I'm green with envy that your spring plans start in a few weeks :) I start my indoor seeds Mid-April to Mid-May, and can finally plant outside the second or third week of June. I'm zone 4.

My spring plans include a 12x16 foot hoop greenhouse to extend my growing season and maybe actually get peppers that mature before frost kills them off. Got a sheet of 6mil greenhouse plastic for $15 at a church sale... 20x200 feet :)

I plan to build a chicken coop, and organize parts of my yard for the chickens and an area for a few turkeys as well... I'd love to get a pig, but I think I'm pushing hubby with the turkeys :)

I plan to build 8 more raised beds... 4x10 feet... that way everything I grow will be in the raised beds. Last year was half and half, and I'm looking forward to everything being in the raised beds... bought a copy of Square Foot Gardening to inspire myself.

Tear all the siding off my house and insulate it. As well as gutting the entire top floor of the house, replacing windows, insulating, drywalling, flooring and painting and we'll finally have one portion of the house completely finished :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Final thought: I am so sick of sitting around. I need to DO something.....
me too. I'm finding I'm actually kinda going into a depression. I'm thinking it might be due to all the white on the ground and so SICK of cleaning. I'm getting cabin fever big time, but with this being our slow season (and by slow I mean SSLLLLOOOOOWWWWW!!) we don't have any "extra" money to get out of the house. I hate to even spend gas if I don't have to.... ok... I know... wahhh, wahhh, wahhh

man, I can't wait for spring. :rolleyes: