sprouting grains?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah, sorry! When you said you changed the water daily, I thought you meant that you were keeping them in water 24/7 lol.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
so lucky said:
I buy sprouted wheat flour at my organic farm store. I like to use it about half and half with regular flour, in bread. It does have a nutty flavor, and a little coarser texture, but is really good. Someone who can explain better than I should tell us all (again) why sprouted wheat is healthier for you...I think it neutralizes the phytic acid in the grain, or something. Makes me sound like a sheeple, doesn't it?:/
Yes, both the soaking and the sprouting help to neutralized the phytic acid inherent in all grains. Sprouting also increases the levels of numerous vitamins in the grain - vit. C, several of the B vitamins, and carotene (precursor to vit A).

So, does the fact that I know this make me a sheeple? Please explain.
Oh no. My blindly following the advice that sprouted grain is better for me, but not knowing why, seemed sheeple-like, to me.(Everybody else is doing it, so I just follow!)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Thats what I have been doing Betta,

with no success yet.

Is there a reason the regular ol feed corn won't sprout?
Depending on how old the grain is, how it has been treated for storage etc. will have an effect on it's ability to sprout.

I remember my sister, who kept a pet parrot, every time she bought a new bag of seeds for the bird, she would throw a handful out in the yard, water it, and if it didn't sprout, she took it back, because it was not "living" and able to reproduce, so... she didn't figure it had much nutrition for her bird.

Live grain/seeds will sprout, and in pretty short order given the right amount of moisture and heat. I sprout all kinds of seeds and grain for my chickens and we eat them too. Usually with in a day you can see a small root forming on most seeds/ grains.

I used a canning jar with a special lid, my three tier sprouter has finally "bit the dust" after almost 30 years!