sprouting grains?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sometimes we sprout them and feed them to the animals.....you actually take grain sprout it in some way (jar with water, bucket system, or actual direct sow)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can sprout grains like wheat, dry them, grind them, and then bake with them.

I've had sprouted wheat bread at my parents' place, that's what they buy, and it's quite nice--it has a different texture (bigger bubbles) and an almost nutty flavour. Nice for sandwiches, but too open for good toast.

I've never tried it but I think other people here bake with sprouted wheat :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I feed sprouts to my chickens ;) I don't eat them myself, but you could :hu The sprouted wheat bread sounds pretty good :drool

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy sprouted wheat flour at my organic farm store. I like to use it about half and half with regular flour, in bread. It does have a nutty flavor, and a little coarser texture, but is really good. Someone who can explain better than I should tell us all (again) why sprouted wheat is healthier for you...I think it neutralizes the phytic acid in the grain, or something. Makes me sound like a sheeple, doesn't it?:/

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I buy sprouted wheat flour at my organic farm store. I like to use it about half and half with regular flour, in bread. It does have a nutty flavor, and a little coarser texture, but is really good. Someone who can explain better than I should tell us all (again) why sprouted wheat is healthier for you...I think it neutralizes the phytic acid in the grain, or something. Makes me sound like a sheeple, doesn't it?:/
Yes, both the soaking and the sprouting help to neutralized the phytic acid inherent in all grains. Sprouting also increases the levels of numerous vitamins in the grain - vit. C, several of the B vitamins, and carotene (precursor to vit A).

So, does the fact that I know this make me a sheeple? Please explain.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So glad to see this thread today.

I have read other threads on sprouting grains, so when I mistakenly pick up a bag of whole corn not cracked corn at the feed store last week,I decided to try sprouting it

I have been trying to do the bucket method with no success.

Can someone please walk me though this process.

I cleaned the grains, put them in a bucket with the water coving the grain, and have been changing the water daily, its been a week and not sprouts.

help please,

thanks

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you soak for 24 hours, then drain, rinse and drain. Rinse/drain daily after the initial 24 hour soak period.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats what I have been doing Betta,

with no success yet.

Is there a reason the regular ol feed corn won't sprout?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't say why you haven't had any luck with the sprouting; however, just having soaked the corn will have done some good. I often soak grain for my chooks, leave it for a day or so covered in water, drain it off, and then dry the grains in the dehydrator to feed over the next week or so. If I had more animals I would just soak and feed without the drying. As long as your corn still smells good - no mold or mustiness - I would give it to your animals as it is at the moment.