Square Foot Gardening.....Does Anyone Else Do This?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No photos from me yet, I haven't planted out yet as we're just now at the beginning of our frost-free nights. It hasn't dipped below freezing for 2 or 3 weeks at night but better safe than sorry around these parts :rolleyes:

I have read the SFG books, and I garden in 2x8' boxed raised beds as well as large pots on my deck, but I don't follow all of Mel's rules.

I don't section my garden into square feet or plant specific numbers of plants in each section, and I'm a strong believer in companion planting to befuddle the bugs.

I have two great books called "Carrots Love tomatoes" and "Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening" by Louise Riotte that have served me well over the years--I've never had any bug problems and my plants have always done well and produced well.

Our short growing season often means that fall frosts come before all of my tomatoes are ready so I extend things a bit by covering the plants at night in late August/early September and then often either end up picking them green and setting them out on a table in the basement to ripen, or bringing the big tomato pots in from my deck and finishing them in my kitchen (which is just off the deck).

And we've never managed to grow brussels sprouts of any size, but again that may be our short growing season (although the Hutterites at the Farmer's Market always have great ones that they sell still on the stalk--I should ask if they have any tips!)

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been using one variation or another of square foot gardening for about 20 years. It is a great way to increase yield and cut down on back breaking weeding and tilling. The book is a good starting point, but everyone has a different situation and these raised beds are adaptable to whatever you need to do.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
offgridgirl :frow Welcome to Sufficient Self!

I have done a bit of Square Foot Gardening in the past and I have a new one going now in my front yard.

This is my little SFG at the beginning of this season.

Front%20Sq%20FT%20beginnings%202011B.JPG

and earlier this month.
Front%20Vegie%205%2010a.JPG

I do a lot of container gardening and I also do a lot of intensively planted well mulched garden beds, but they are not really SFG per say.

ThymeNLettucea.JPG

Backyard%20Rattlesnakes09.JPG