Square foot gardening

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks gd....Actually I figured with the herbs, I'd go with tiny, individual raised beds, which, hopefully would be permanant. Very mild winters here and honestly, I dislike large amounts of work, on an ongoing basis. I could probably go with regular standard 15inch tires, flipped inside out for each herb, provided there is a respectful distance between each variety.
At this age, I"m doing good to tackle a big new project, to begin with, so I best make it as easy as I can.
Still, I might spend the money because I had pretty much settled it in my mind that I didn't mind spending $300/year in retaining wall blocks, provided I somehow got my investment back from the garden.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For excellent Square Foot Gardening advice, read Mel Bartholomew's original Square Foot Gardening, not the "new and improved" version although that one will do if you can't find the old one (I bought the new one at my used book shop when I misplaced my old one and ended up selling it back because I prefer the older one).
Definitely get the older version if you can. He had great tips for making do with what you've got - very SS ;). I looked at the new one from the library, and was amazed, and disappointed, to see that it seemed to be a giant infomercial on how to buy your way to gardening success. If all you have seen is the new edition, I would definitely recommend searching out one of the originals if you can. I do (as so many seem to) a modified version of his idea. I try to keep to his spacings, but often don't fit things all into one square foot. My beds are somewhat oddly shaped - I garden on hill, in terraced beds - so I make do with what I have.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't say that I square foot garden but I garden in beds. I post in www.theeasygarden.com and have included links that show pics of my garden. My garden is in the front yard because of shade issues in the backyard. The garden is between the sidewalk and driveway, the green bean garden is a 12' strip on the other side of the driveway and I took over a flower bed for the squash.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33860&p=1

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33974

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33864

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34643

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very nice use of space Baymule, Wish I was that organized. Thanks ORChick I do have the older version of the book.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the lovely compliment! I am not that organized, just like to set it up for the least amount of work. I open up paper feed sacks and use them for mulch, they hold down the weeds and help with moisture. I work really hard 3 weekends twice a year getting it all composted, dug and planted , the rest of the time is watering, picking and light maintenance of weeding.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Thanks for the lovely compliment! I am not that organized, just like to set it up for the least amount of work. I open up paper feed sacks and use them for mulch, they hold down the weeds and help with moisture. I work really hard 3 weekends twice a year getting it all composted, dug and planted , the rest of the time is watering, picking and light maintenance of weeding.
If you are talking paper feed sacks I suggest that you check to see if they are waterproof [many are] I learned the hard way that water would run off the sacks and it was bone dry underneath. I now use newspapers.~gd